Who benefits from this INDO-US Nuclear Deal - INDIA or USA ?
1. Recognition that India is a mature nuclear state (unlike Pak which is also nuclear but a similar deal is not offered to them).
2. The discrimination against India for not supplying nuclear raw materials and technology will end in the absence of India signing the CTBT, and India will gain access to nuclear fuel as well as technology - already 5 of our reactors are shut down in the absence of fuels.
3. The military reactors (8 identified) will not be under international inspection and hence the military options remain with India - athough it does not mean much as either India is not in a position to use it or has voluntarily said it will not use it.
4. It is a step forward rather than lying in the nuclear dog-house for the last two decades on moral grounds.
5. The conditions laid down are far more favourbale than the ones being discussed during the NDA regime.
6. USA' s gain is it can claim moral leadership of ...more
There was a sudden unperceived need for high precision field guns- that too from Switzerland of all places. The Soviet Union was more than capable of giving MUCH More at 1/4th the price. And so was Avadi and the numerous PSU Heavy Armaments factories, inside India itself. Look at how it spilled in the end. And our troops lost out the most & got exposed to fire.
Considering how terrorism & CIA & ISI funded inflitrations spelt in J&K in that time, I was thinking the troops should be getting more AK's. And s--t like night vision goggles or thermal sensors. Or be doing joint ops w/ other countries. Not field guns. What do they do against people who strike stealthily, attack and withdraw?
And the nuclear deal just doesn't make sense. I'm sorry. I su ...more
If really we are concern about the power and future energy........Why not promotion to Geothermal energy...we have himalayas......Why not wind energy, ocean energy, wave energy.......we are penninsular nation. More than ......we are blessed by solar energy.....only Govt.' al promotion is needed. If every one installs solar panal for their home and offices.......Only big industries will require extra energy.
I can't support the deal as the time, America stops the supply, we will come on backfoot. Along with billions of money.........whole econamy will ........sink. So, why dependent.....why not independent?
What does India get out of the Deal?
Benefits to India are immense with this deal. First and foremost, is the de-facto recognition of India as a nuclear power? It is not clearly stated in the deal, but its an implicit understanding. India missed this opportunity in 1970-78. It is unlikely that this opportunity is to be missed again. Second, is future recognition of India as a permanent UN Security Council member? India has tried this in last three years. It has not succeeded. It is unlikely to succeed in next 10 years. But with a Trillion and a half dollar economy (8% growth over ten years), India will make this grade. When UN reforming movement gains strength in the future, India will be right there and waiting for this opportunity.
Economic benefits to India
There is an urgent need in India for capital to build its infrastructure and manufacturing base. And there is only one source to get it i.e. US & Europe. US and Europe at thi ...more