Q.

My friend has a 60 year old cousin, who is steeped neck deep in superstitious beliefs. She shuns anything that is Black in colour.She wont allow her daughter-in-law to wear black coloured dress, use a black bindior wear black glass bangles.Interestingly, this "black hater" will dye her snow white hair black once a week. How do you analyse her mental constituition?

Tags: relationships, beauty & fashion, wear black
Asked by thampy chacko, 26 Apr '11 06:22 pm

1.

She has been well and truly indoctrinated, possibly a long time ago by her parents beliefs, and certainly is not going to change now. However she cannot and should not force her belief on others, especially not her daughter in law, who should have the strength of character to wear what she wants, especially black. My stepmother was deeply superstitious and we had no end of arguments about it until agreeing to differ and not speak about such things. One thing for sure I would never allow her to dictate to me - in fact when I was younger I probably used to taunt her about it by walking under a ladder, stroking a black cat and so on! Black was once my favourite colour and I wore it all the time but I got over it! I don't think we can analyse your friends cousins mental state - you just have to accept that this is her way, but ensure that it does not become the way for all those around her.
Answered by Janis, 26 Apr '11 10:42 pm

(2)
 (0)
2.

Thampy.. hmmmm....... People generally fear the colour black because it is a symbol of darkness, of night , of the unknown.. and anything that is unknown and mysterious to us has to be shunned because God knows what evil it may contain.. That is the general belief and hence the dislike for the colour black though you know and I know that white can be evil too.
However in your cousin's case I think this 'fear' has become so deep rooted that it is bordering on a kind of madness. Please take her to a psychiatrist right away.
Dyeing her colour black is ok for her because all around her she sees people with black hair. Even Jesus had black hair.. hence she finds it ok to dye her hair black.. she'll can look younger too.. So what's the harm?
Source: My mind
Answered by joyoti sen, 26 Apr '11 10:21 pm

(1)
 (0)
3.

It's Victorian with a capital V :)....rooted belief......

Starts w/ black cat crossing road.
Answered by A Moin, 26 Apr '11 10:23 pm

(2)
 (0)
4.

Here I have couple of more that will leave you dumbstruck Vendors do not sell needles after 6 pm because it is bad luck. If a plate, glass, or a picture frame fell and break then it means that someone close to you has been in an accident or may have passed away. When someone is leaving, always turn away before they are out of sight, else you'll never see them again. Some believe that getting up from the wrong side of your bed in the morning will bring you bad luck. At my home my elders often advise us not to open an umbrella in the house we have not yet been told the reason..........Many people believe them to be true and will base their entire lives around them. While others think theyre just old wives tales or made up nonsense. Whatever the case may be, the history surrounding these superstitions is fascinating. I have always enjoyed reading about them.
Answered by sumati gayki, 09 May '11 03:31 pm

(1)
 (0)
5.

..for her black is the monopoly for hairs only.
And maybe she has a point there.
In nature that is the only thing black that is fresh and good looking. Almost everything else that is fresh and good looking is not black, except maybe a black cat.
Answered by M H Kisan, 27 Apr '11 12:24 am

(1)
 (0)
6.

Superstition in different forms r everywhere in varying degrees. But among Indians especially Hindus of North India, it is deep- rooted. The sad part is that govts instead of discouraging such non-senses, give encouragement. In the present case, I feel the lady is abnormal. She may b having some superstition regarding white haired old women. So she blackens it.
Answered by Babu K, 26 Apr '11 09:25 pm

(1)
 (0)
7.

My girlfriend lives in Colombia, and was telling me that not only is opening an umbrella indoors unlucky, but doing so with a black umbrella is even more so. It got me to thinking about superstitions like the black cat crossing your path, and I was wondering if there was a possible connection between viewing things the color black as unlucky and racism?
Answered by jameel ahmed, 26 Apr '11 06:37 pm

(1)
 (0)
8.

-))))...is very natrl you may see these kind of people all around you i had a riend in Hosel who stopped shaving in exam days, and did fast on fridays, so when we had a party on fridy tht friend used only peanuts as snack as tey will be Ok in fasting .......when rest of us goged with other mouthwatring snaks..buthe didnt refuse liqor :-))))) another guy had a ucky tshirt so from practicals till end of the theorie he was in same t shirt-)))))
Answered by Gaurav vyas, 26 Apr '11 06:30 pm

(1)
 (0)

Q.

See Microsoft is shark and if Google has to offer stiff or simple competition to MS it all depends on how they develop the product ,what will be the..more

Answered by abhi nair