Q.

GENDER BIAS : Why do men have to live with this stereotypical image of BRAVERY...MACHISMO,even if they are plagued with insecurities(emotional,career related or some other) in life? Why can't they be respected for what they are,with or without human fallacies?

Tags: relationships, careers, education
Asked by shintsie, 15 Feb '10 12:30 pm

1.

While Charles Suumer had said, The age of chivalry has gone; the age of humanity has come. Charles Kingsley contradicted him by saying, "Some say that the age of chivalry is past, that the spirit of romance is dead. The age of chivalry is never past, so long as there is a wrong left unredressed on earth. If I agree with both of them then I would be wrong. I disagree with them partly with what they said. I agree with Charles Summer that the age of humanity has come. Women today are much safer than what they were before. None like Paris would covet and abduct other man's wife like Helen of Troy and Tens of thousands of chivalrous men would not go to a war with nation on this account to retrieve that woman. Nonetheless, a man might have an affair with other man's wife, but then if you try to act chivalrous the woman herself would say boo to you. Don't we read in the newspaper how the women are being harassed all the time in trains, in buses, in the market in full view of everyone but none ...more
Answered by Jack Johnson, 17 Feb '10 07:44 am

(1)
 (1)
2.

As long as women expect women to be subservient, cowed down, and unintelligent dumb doormats - they themselves will have to live up to their (false? ) image of brave, macho knights in armour.
Answered by joyoti sen, 15 Feb '10 10:21 pm

(1)
 (2)
3.

Because most of the men who fear failure wear this as a mask to cover that expected failure. A confident and brave male never overdo by exhibiting his bravery or machismo in the open. But we have to accept not everybody is intelligent and successful and especially men, as the head of the family has to project such image to the society so as to gain respect from his family. And hence they will always wear this mask when they fear to loss emotionally,career related or some other.
Answered by Josna, 15 Feb '10 09:14 pm

(1)
 (1)
4.

Blame in on the women will ya coz its they who glorify the bravado and machismo of the male species.
Answered by Saj Sierra, 15 Feb '10 08:48 pm

(1)
 (1)
5.

I think u r mixing up concepts here ji.....

The "bravery" and "machismo" thing comes from mammoth / Saber tooth tiger hunting ever since man was created. The machismo aspect and the bravery aspect is supposed to highlight a man's ability to take punishment and withstand rough seas.

That has nothing to do with insecurity. IF a man cannot take punishment in life, and loses that machismo image, his ego is destroyed. I guess in older days, if I wanted to impress a girl, I would just bring home a big ol' Bison for dinner. In return, when man is hurt or feeling low, the girl gives him comfort. That's how male-female relationships have been defined....

Answered by A Moin, 15 Feb '10 10:03 pm

(3)
 (0)
6.

I will only say that it is the ignorance, immaturity on the part of such people to project an unnatural image of themselves. And the good thing is that only immature people will get impressed with such people. Needless to say that simple and straightforward persons are respected by all and sundry.
Answered by kishore malhotra, 15 Feb '10 12:41 pm

(1)
 (3)
7.

Its the social set up that is made to this model and accepted by all... Nobody changes and even accepts the changes... people in general enjoy the aspects that are related to men as men and...any departure from the set pattern draws unwanted attention from the society...the moral police... Sometimes we even forget that men also have the glands that secrete tears... men are men...not the robots... men can be devoid of success... all men are not superman... even some of the men have successfully entered the women domain... as the women did...
Answered by sanjay sharma, 18 Feb '10 11:58 pm

(2)
 (0)
8.

Let me give you an example. I think it was in 2002. A party was organised in the branch of our office. We lady officers were busy with our work when suddenly the person in charge of the party came to us with some cucumber, tomatoes and onions in a plate and requested us to peel and cut them. We felt offended because just because we were women we were expected to leave aside our duties and do that. It is a foregone conclusion that we refused and the cook and his helper did the job.

Blame it on the demands of the society we live in. Men and woman are stereotyped right from the day they are born...don't they say it is blue for baby boys and pink for baby girls. Bravery , machismo, etc are all related to men as per this gender stereotyping and any deviation from the rule makes the man unmanly and effeminate in the eyes of the society. Likewise the case with women. And so man and women try to fit into a stereotype against their wishes to please society. Wish society was more lenient and ...more
Answered by Mitali Choudhury, 15 Feb '10 03:47 pm

(2)
 (0)
9.

If u r exceptionally intelligent, u may not be brave, if u r of giving nature, u may not have huge savings, if u r nature loving, u may not tend to depend upon materialistic items like Ac, refrigerator...we are being blessed wid different qualities and virues accompanied wid so many shortcomings...Personally , I have a huge respect for both the genders of the society as a whole. If I say men are more emotional as compared to women, does it seem aggreable to women ? No...bcoz they are said to be emotional right from their birth ....as far as ur question is concerned, to some extent , right from the primitive societ , men used to lead from the front in his family to protect it from different threats like from wild animals, or to wander thru forest in search of food and shelter and widthe passage of time , we continued to develop ourselves in the process of getting us comfortable wrt necessities and luxuries as well...and in this journey gradually we became educated too....but education h ...more
Answered by bijoy agarwala, 22 Feb '10 05:18 pm

(1)
 (0)
10.

Bravery is not a joke. It is not pertaining to male or female and not every male is brave. But I have to quote a couplet from THIRUKKURAL:
" Folly meets fearful ills with fearless heart; To fear where cause of fear exists is wisdom's part." Yes..not to fear what ought to be feared is folly.
Answered by sankaran subbiah, 16 Feb '10 01:03 pm

(1)
 (0)

Q.

Answered by Pradipta pati