Q.

Thank God it is Friday (TGIF)------Why is it said so?

Asked by Good Citizen, 17 Mar '09 12:08 pm

1.

Anyone who attends school or works Monday through Friday will tell you that the last day of their week is met with much anticipation. Each Monday, the countdown to Friday begins, and so naturally, Friday is received with open arms. Its Friday came about in the 1960s as a universal mantra to express the relief of the end of the workweek, as well as reference to the good times planned for the weekend ahead.

The weekend as we know it did not come into existence until the five-day workweek became standard in the U.S. and many other industrialized countries in the 20th century. Until then, many workers worked seven days a week, or had only Sundays off. The Sabbath, which varies in Christianity, Judaism and Islam, plays a large role in what comprises a weekend. In the U.S. and other predominately Christian countries, the weekend is Saturday and Sunday.

Answered by Joseph Chacko, 18 Mar '09 05:20 am

(2)
 (0)
2.

Starting in the United States, it has become a common expression of relief at the end of the work week and anticipation of relaxing or partying over the weekend. The term was originated by the Akron, Ohio disk jockey Jerry Healy on radio station WAKR in the early 1970s. The phrase was further popularised by the 1978 movie starring Donna Summer, Thank God Its Friday.
Answered by Anil K Chugh, 17 Mar '09 01:14 pm

(1)
 (0)
3.

Next two days are off days in US where TGIF originated as a phrase .
Answered by mahesh chandra, 17 Mar '09 12:24 pm

(1)
 (0)
4.

I love how the smiley faces turn out in the subject title... They just look adorable. ^^

Again, my day was good. My friend, Meghan's birthday is actually tomorrow - but a three of my friends skipped first period to go and buy her balloons. I would've gone, but I don't skip - just not me. But hey, it was for a good ....................
Answered by sudesh, 17 Mar '09 12:11 pm

(0)
 (0)
5.

New movie gets released on friday
Answered by ashish bohra, 17 Mar '09 12:08 pm

(0)
 (0)

Q.

According to Douglas B. Smith in his book "Every wonder why?" the hotdog was given its name by a cartoonist. A butcher from Frankfurt who owned a dach..more

Answered by HEMANT MEHTA