Q.

While speaking a language (english/hindi/any) - Why are regional accents made fun of? Is there any such thing as a perfect accent to speak a language?

Tags: relationships, education, language
Asked by sumitha, 06 Oct '09 06:58 pm

1.

The person born to that language will generally have the closest accent to which the language should be spoken, if you want to speak it as the natives do. Pronunciation is different, most can pronounce words of a different language. What makes the difference is the accent. There is ABSOLUTELY no rule that one has to be able to speak the language with the accent of its origins. Accent has a lot to do with the lilt of the language and the way it is reproduced - more to do with INTONATION and mouthing than pronunciation.
This is precisely why, regional accents are made fun of, because, sometimes, in a different accent, they can mean things slightly different, again, because of INTONATION which forms an integral part of accent.
Answered by Satish Kamath, 09 Oct '09 09:56 pm

(1)
 (0)
2.

It is very sad, but a fact, that regional accents/dialects are made fun of. I witness it a lot and many people are typecast by the manner in which they speak. Yes, in my experience the majority do regard a certain accent to be the perfect accent and the one, which if spoken, will enhance your career and prospects more so than if you retained your regional accent. I am not saying I agree with it but that is the reality. Of course some accents are more attractive than others, but all have, I believe, a certain charm and perhaps we should be proud of our accents rather than trying to change them to speak in a way we perceive is more acceptable. The nearest City to my home has a famous accent which has been ridiculed for centuries by commedians etc. who protray the inhabitants as being "Thick" because they speak in that way. I have no idea why but it has always been that way. I actually love regional accents and being able to identify what part of the country people are from. I ad ...more
Answered by Janis, 10 Oct '09 07:50 pm

(1)
 (0)
3.

Each language has its own phonetics and diction and this should be right.
Answered by Jack Johnson, 08 Oct '09 07:30 pm

(1)
 (0)
4.

One of my drawing lecturer was very weak in English ---- No one can control laugh during his coaching..

Once purposely I left my footwear in the middle of class room .

He asked us :- Who is this chappal ? Why it is falling on class center. My warn you all. Repetition will be punished.

I replied him seriously Sir I am the chappal Logu ran to blow I back. So I run to my seat Sir. Chappal left me running Sir.

Good good My no like complaints you catch and sit with your chappal!!!
Answered by anantharaman, 08 Oct '09 09:09 pm

(2)
 (0)
5.

Sumitha, this question has its nagging feeling all the way from the day of starting learning any other language other than mother tongue. Even in college campus days, especially in English class, the teachers used to give us many examples of phonetics and intonations. This, I am sure, not merely a typical Indian problem, but spread all over the world. I have travelled almost all part of India (not only the metros and places of tourist interests, but had been taking detour kind survey) and have encountered many times this very problem of accent (though not for making fun, but was in desperate position too, as none of the southern belt, rural folks I mean, was able to grasp what we were talking about and we passed the passage by attempting sign language). Let me restrict my answer to English language only because we know it is a universal language. But even in England there are many facets of spoken English and no Scot or Irishman will come forward to assist your purest form of accent if ...more
Answered by Indra Pawar, 08 Oct '09 08:56 pm

(2)
 (0)
6.

Hearing the same ENGALIS words frm different regions is funny...but one shudnt make fun of it...no Indian can ever speak the British language with perfection(altho m in doubt whether any Britisher can also speak Queen's english that perfect)...its coz of the simple reason..we r not British. About Hindi...or any other language of Indian origin..as long as u convey ur msg...it doesnt matter..maybe a lot of expletives r exchanged in the process...but take it as BHAICHAARA...or kya kor shoktey ho madaam...ha ha..:))
Answered by sumita ganguly, 12 Oct '09 12:52 pm

(1)
 (0)
7.

Old habbit die hard. It is tendency of people to make fun of everything....
Answered by ANURADHA PATHAKJ, 11 Oct '09 09:57 am

(1)
 (0)
8.

Anyone is supposed to speak any Language in their own accent.
Ther is no stipulated criterion for perfect accent of any Language.
Yet sometimes accent may change the meaning.If Logu sir ,Anantharamji allows permits me to say =>
What happens if Linclons words" Government of the people,By the people,For the people" is uttered by a Telegu speaking person( Please Telegu speking peoples,pardon please I have no intention to humiliate you).
Think what meaning will it bear?
Answered by Santiranjan Pal, 10 Oct '09 07:36 am

(1)
 (0)
9.

Language is only means of communication .... it could happen any how !
Answered by Praveen Kapur, 09 Oct '09 11:36 pm

(1)
 (0)
10.

Perfect accent actually means the accent in which the more respectable persons of the language speak. The way a Noam Chomsky will speak cannot be imitated by a Soumyen Sarkar. Again the way an Amartya Sen will speak can be compared to the real British accent but even then we will compare him to something of an original kind. The way a Texas cowboy will speak will not do a Richard Gere proud. In my opinion there is nothing called perfect accent. The accent that will do me proud is the ideal accent for me.
Answered by soumyen sarkar, 09 Oct '09 06:14 pm

(1)
 (0)

Q.

Answered by A Moin