Q.

Why does every advertisement for a clock or watch ALWAYS has the hour hand on 10, the minute hand on 2 and the second hand in between 5-6. (This holds
true for print ads, online ads, TV ad's, etc.)

Asked by Mridul Sharma, 18 Jun '09 06:05 pm

1.

This way i suppose the face of the clock is fully visible. this allows the logo or emblem and the name of the manufacturer to be fully visible too.
Answered by joyoti sen, 18 Jun '09 11:14 pm

(4)
 (2)
2.

Hi Prashant, ,it is very interesting that you have brought it to all of our notice and going through all other submissions ,I would like to debate on the point that if the question of manufactures or brand name is concerned than it is more visible when hour hand is on 9 and minute hand on 3 which will divide the dial with the horizontal line.

There are many reasons for the same:
It forms a check mark & in some believes it to be good time
the check mark kind of assures the buyers that they are doing the right thing by buying the watch. It makes that particular shape.

Some people guess that the first time the clock was invented at 10.10

It is all to do with the volume of sales!
Answered by joyesh chakraborty, 20 Jun '09 11:24 am

(3)
 (2)
3.

Most the answers have already covered all possible reasons for this. l feel that it is just to give maximum visibility to the logo and other details printed on the dial. After all this is advertisement wherein the advertisers try to to get maximum attraction to the manufacturer's logo and anything else printed on the dial. I appreciate answers of Mr. Krishnakumar Narayan on (TPT), Major V. Loganathan on ergonomics and also Mr. Rajan Mhamai/Mr. Sanjay Sharma on symmetrical point of view.
Answered by Francisco, 19 Jun '09 06:01 pm

(3)
 (1)
4.

Dear Mridulji, To be very frank, I have not noticed but still I will go with sanjayji's answer. Nice to know you. tke care regards Cyrus
Answered by cyrus irani, 18 Jun '09 06:16 pm

(2)
 (3)
5.

Its symetrical, also the name of the makers is clearly visible.
Answered by RAJAN MHAMAI, 18 Jun '09 07:05 pm

(2)
 (2)
6.

10:10 position (sometimes 10:12 or 10:08) was adopted for pictures of clocks and watches because it is symmetric and looks better. Today the symmetric positions are both aesthetic and customary. Other symmetric hand positions are also used, but not as frequently. Examples include 8:20, 8:18, and 2:50. Reviewing some Seth Thomas clock catalog illustrations, I see a gradually increasing symmetry of the hands as the catalogs progress from 1878 to 1940.

"We always put hands to 10.10 here and in other collections I'm responsible for. The answer is probably quite simply that it looks better, aesthetically and practically, as the clock has a 'smile' on its face (not just a marketing gimmick, it really does look better than a 'down turned mouth' at 8.20) and, as others have said, because it keeps the hands clear of signatures and other subsidiary dials. I note that not every firm uses that position in their marketing though. Synchronome, for example, appear to depict their dials at 3.00."

Answered by Jack Johnson, 21 Jun '09 09:38 pm

(0)
 (0)

7.

Interesting question! Over the years, I've been told by several people
that clocks' hands in advertisements are set at 10:10 because this was
the time of day when Abraham Lincoln was shot, or the time when he
died. This is a fascinating explanation, but there isn't a shred of
evidence for it (and, in fact, Lincoln was shot at 10:15 PM, and died
the next morning at 7:22). Exactly the same myth is sometimes reported
with John F. Kennedy or Martin Luther King as the person being
memorialized in the clock ads.

Answered by Parash Borthakur, 20 Jun '09 02:35 pm

(2)
 (2)
8.

Ergonomics- while assembling these three needles, first one is hour hand, then minute hand & finally second hand. When the watches are coming on the conveyor belt, the spindle over which all these hands are fitted has specific grooves, the corresponding projection on the hands will fit in respective grooves. Over the years, the study conducted to save time, has come out to fix the handles at the time you had specified. I suppose they will take the photograph, before the battery is fitted in the watch. Hence it appears a wonder leading to various assumptions brought out by our learned forum members. What Sanjay brought out regarding company's identity was a later phenomenon, they did that where empty space was available. My vote is not for aesthetic look as, you will find ARBUTUS watches show 015103, Casio shows 1258(they have no second hand)!

However, I compliment your observation, Well done!
Answered by MajorVLoganathan, 18 Jun '09 07:06 pm

(7)
 (3)
9.

Because the watch or clock's brand name is visible tht way , if it has any other reason thn i dnt know tht
Answered by parul advani, 18 Jun '09 06:21 pm

(8)
 (0)
10.

The most convincing answer can be that it makes the clock symmetrical in look making the brand logo visible because most of the brands have their logo on the upper side of the dial.
some say at this very time stamp it is believed that Lincoln or Kennedy were shot dead... but all these arguments still have to be supported by some concrete evidences...
Answered by sanjay sharma, 18 Jun '09 06:10 pm

(6)
 (1)

Q.

I think that the 10:10 position (sometimes 10:12 or 10:08) was adopted for pictures of clocks and watches because it is symmetric and looks better. To..more

Answered by Harish Kulkarni