Q.

Smiles sometimes look real and sometimes look fake . In fact how many types of smiles are there? How to identify a true smile and a fake smile?

Tags: smiles, fake smile, look real
Asked by Mrinalini Devi, 19 Jul '10 07:12 am

1.

Generally, we smile for positive reasons and also for different reasons i.e to appear pleasantly, to seek for approval, to show happiness. But, when we feel embarrassed about something, we give out cute smiles to cover it up. There is really not much difference between the two. But, if we go deeper to the mechanisms of how both are done, it may be easier for us to tell what is what. True and fake smiles are not controlled by the same parts of the brain. True smiles are produced spontaneously by the unconscious part of the brain and the conscious part of the brain is responsiblethe for fake smiles.
Answered by tapan parida, 23 Dec '10 11:48 pm

(0)
 (0)
2.

In my opinion, no smile is fake. All smiles are real. The difference lies in the intended and unintended communication and perception. When I break the news of my success to my parents, they smile sincerely. But the same news brings a dry congratulatory smile in the face of someone who is not my well wisher but outwardly a decent person. His best effort to cover his disappointment fails. The defeated person smiles at the victor, apparently for appreciation, but it may not be sincere appreciations. I can well remember the photograph of Late Prime Minister V.P Singh congratulating late Prime Minister Chandra Shekhar when his government (V.P. Singh's) was toppled. From the smile, it appeared that V.P Ji was sincerely and graciously congratulating Chandrashekhar ji. But inside, the toppled person was fuming surely. So, I say, all smiles are real but the gap between intended and unintended communications gives you the effect of a fake smile.
Answered by soumyen sarkar, 19 Jul '10 08:33 am

(0)
 (0)
3.

The zygomatic major muscles can be consciously controlled allowing people to show
insincere friendliness or subordination through fake smiles, the orbicularis oculis however
cant be controlled acting independently when feeling pleassure and reveal our true feelings
if you want to know how to distinguish genuine enjoyment smiles, observe the wrinkles
in the corner beside the eyes .The eyebrows will also slightly dip down.
Ever wonder why they ask you to say Cheese when taking a photo? pronouncing the word
pulls back on your zygomatic muscles but they forget about the orbicularis oculis resulting in a fake smile.

Apart from the above mentioned zygomatic majors/orbicularis oculis sincere smile (known simply as Duchenne), and the fake smile, theres around 50 different types of smiles that have been found, the following are the most commonly used:
Answered by Shri Kumar, 19 Jul '10 07:31 am

(0)
 (0)
4.

YADBHAVAM TADBHAVATHI. If we are with a true smile all smiles are true to us.
Answered by Revathi Kuruvada, 19 Jul '10 07:28 am

(0)
 (0)
5.

It all comes with personal experience...more you observe people,more you learn.

http://www.abundancetapestry.com/17-types-of-smiles-to- wear-a-guide-for-all-occasions/

http://www.egodevelopment.com/ choose-your-smile-10-smile-types/

http://sapientology.com/tag/ types-of-smiles/
Answered by TARZAN, 19 Jul '10 07:25 am

(0)
 (0)
6.

I think one has to co relate the smile with eyes .If the smile is true eyes will light up and if it is fake then eyes will look different
Answered by minticool, 19 Jul '10 07:22 am

(0)
 (0)