Q.

Can you guess the age, gender etc. from the languages of person that we see here? Will you share your secret?

Asked by soumyen sarkar, 04 Jun '09 10:39 pm

1.

We can make assumptions based upon our knowledge and experience - but as we all know it does not pay to assume. Pseudonyms are used in the virtual world and in the real world to either protect identity, gain acceptance or deceive. I am thinking of the author George Eliot in reality Mary Ann Evans, she used a pseudonym to gain acceptance but without knowing would we regard her style of writing as that of a woman or a man. We tend to think of women using a more delicate style of expression, no bad language etc. but is it so? Today there are plenty of female writers executing a very racy style and on this forum at least 2 genuine females who express themselves in manly lavatorial humour style in both content and subject matter. Can we judge age? - well again we assume that people of a certain age will have acquired a modicum of knowledge and education and therefore express themselves differently to that of a young person and perhaps generally that is so. However, I have met young ...more
Answered by Janis, 12 Jun '09 02:50 am

(2)
 (0)
2.

It will be outlandish to make a guess. And what for? At best, this is a forum useful to encourage one to think or act in a better way than they normally do. Some of the answers we receive will help us to face the situation described in the quiz in a better way. If cultured enough, one will tend to practice based on own ideal answers depending on the responses. Many find this forum as a place to rejoice, away from the real world. I am afraid, at least some of them will fully vanish from the real world and will be sucked into Rediff world so that they can play in others pages. (I doubt this has already occured, other wise why this place is more weird nowadays than it used to be earlier?)
And for secrets, don\'t share it even to the real life characters unless your trust, loyalty or life is in question. In real life, don\'t conceal it either, if it can save someone\'s pride or life.
Answered by Krishnakumar Narayanan, 07 Jun '09 12:38 am

(1)
 (0)
3.

Now sir,this a forum where people portay themselves as effeciently as they wish . Hence it is not easy to guess any person in this forum.The gender to some extent can be read from the language still, as the decency is maintained by both gender equally well,so even that is not possible.Form some members the maturity and the knowledge in certain subjects like,spiritualim and religion can help to guess their age because it is the subject where young people dont answer well. .But sir,what is this Forum.How clean is this Forum.I preferred not to use my surname or my husband\'s name just because of this reason, where abuse is done in different forms .Messages are constantly sent to girl\'s id regularly by men of different age Here I use my individuality alone in every way. My answers are sincere and given right from my heart.From my answers people can guess to some extent what kind of an individual ,Iam.I think that is more than enough to know and understand me.The same way I ,too can guess ...more
Answered by Rachana, 06 Jun '09 05:29 pm

(2)
 (2)
4.

Soumyen ji in my opinion it is difficult to guess age, though we could guess the gender most of the time in an online forum as people are very clever and smart to exhibit wrongly and misguide us. But a female got a natural inclination to soft, kind gesture and language. Even her rudeness speaks decency. Age we cannot judge from the way of writing or language used. Language shows the culture, qualification and mental state of that person. A 60-year-old man can behave as a child. What a person expresses in his writings reflects what is in his mind. I can behave here as a teenager, if I want. It depends on one\'s attitude, what he/she wants to gain and enjoy.
The one who writes pages and pages of write-up here may not be that talkative. The one who interacts with people here so openly may not be that frank in real life. Constraints/situations change from virtual to real world and so is behavior.
Answered by Muktha Radhakrishnan, 05 Jun '09 01:28 pm

(1)
 (2)
5.

Not all...but one can surely guess the gender from the way one writes ones answers....and also the attitude of the person from their online behaviour.....language too one can hazard a guess from their name if they are using their own name as the id...if not then it is difficult..........but it is extremely difficult to correctly guess one\'s age ........In a virtual world, one needs to take everything one hears from anyone with a huge sack of salt...even if it comes from the horses\' mouth so to speak :)
Answered by sumitha, 05 Jun '09 08:19 pm

(1)
 (1)
6.

Not possible.
Answered by hitler, 04 Jun '09 10:40 pm

(1)
 (1)
7.

Mr.Sarkar, you may not believe but I deliberately had kept away myself from answering this question in spite it is quite interesting and carries a certain slice of human psychology. However, while reading your admission in comments that you didn`t wish to restrict the limit of your question only with this Forum but it is applicable widely and in general manner. Then only I thought I must add my pinch of salt in the dish of discussion. Nevertheless, let me take the issue in Forum relevance, because, almost all have taken your question in the manner as if it is for bonafide members of the forum only. We all aware by now (and it is no secret) that there are many fake IDs, of both genders, and there are battalions of immature askers who are no more than trouble makers and enjoy participation merely for that silly race of obtaining place in the Hall of Fame. So, there is absolutely no need to take a magnifying glass and check value of their answers or authenticity of gender as it holds no r ...more
Answered by Indra Pawar, 07 Jun '09 09:19 pm

(1)
 (0)
8.

It is in the interest of everyone here to hide behind their ID but you are right the manner in which one asks questions and gives answers does reveal a bit of ones personality including one\'s age and gender. But there are a few who take care not to reveal anything at the cost of giving good answers and asking good questions. Let me dare to make a comment here about you and that is you are very touchy and tend to take matters seriously.
Answered by gem mina, 05 Jun '09 07:14 am

(1)
 (0)
9.

Yes, sumtimes
Answered by Aishwarya Jagani, 05 Jun '09 01:15 am

(1)
 (0)
10.

Not a easy thing.Possible only in some cases when you are convinced of the member\'s honesty eg.Radhikamrutha, Major Loganatham for instance.
Answered by Krishna Reddy, 04 Jun '09 11:25 pm

(1)
 (0)

Q.

1859 Apr 1, 1859 - No warring with Indian, beast, or reptile, or with those tropical miasmata against which the mind and strength of the white race ar..more

Answered by Rabindranath Sahu