Q.

Why is the "deadline" called so?

Tags: relationships, education, science
Asked by Joseph Chacko, 27 May '10 07:36 pm

1.

Going beyond it means death (unpleasant consequences)!
Answered by Shunmugham, 27 May '10 08:47 pm

(1)
 (1)
2.

If I remember right , it relates to military prison campus where a line is drawn, crossing of which a prisoner is liable to be shot at. Hence a deadline is denoted to be the maximum allowable limit in civil life.
Answered by Lola Cyril, 27 May '10 08:39 pm

(1)
 (1)
3.

A deadline is a time or date before which a particular task must be finished or a particular thing must be done. so.........
Answered by Amit chosaliya, 27 May '10 08:09 pm

(1)
 (0)
4.

That denotes Ultimatum...:-)
Answered by SWEET HEART, 27 May '10 08:01 pm

(1)
 (0)
5.

CANNES: Sean Penn Called To DC
And Will Miss 'Fair Game' !
Answered by Jagdish, 27 May '10 07:41 pm

(1)
 (0)
6.

Our ability to meet deadlines is crucial in our jobs and lives overall. If we miss them, we miss opportunities and events, can lose jobs and credibility, can hurt feelings and relationships, miss fun, joy and experiences that will bless our lives, and lose self-esteem (who needs more of that?!).

But, why is it called a dead line?

I just received an email from Bill, a newsletter reader responding to my newsletter from this morning where I used deadline in an article, as in, The One Key to Stop Procrastination is . . . a deadline. He said, Kim, I think you should consider using another term other than DEADline. . . it is not very inspirational or motivational and since that is what you are suppose to be all about Im not sure you want to be using that term . . . you might consider FINISHline or some other term.

The definition of a deadline is: the latest time by which something can be completed.

Answered by Prashant, 27 May '10 07:40 pm

(1)
 (0)
7.

The term deadline originated from prison camps during war, and referred to a physical line or boundary. Guards would shoot any prisoner who crossed the deadline. The "deadline" in such prison camps as Confederate Prison Camp Andersonville or Union Prison Camp Douglas Chicago during the Civil War was "Inside (the wall), about nineteen feet from the wall, which prisoners were forbidden to cross. The "deadline" was intended to prevent prisoners from climbing over the stockade or from tunneling under it. The term was later adapted in its use to time lines, perhaps to show the seriousness of an end date in a timeline by referring to it as a "deadline."
Answered by Psycho, 07 Mar '13 06:07 pm

(0)
 (0)
8.

The original usage was refering to . A boundary line in a prison that prisoners can cross only at the risk of being shot.
Answered by anil garg, 10 Jan '11 10:55 pm

(0)
 (0)
9.

That denotes Ultimatum
Answered by sumati gayki, 09 Nov '10 01:50 pm

(0)
 (0)

Q.

"... history is handed over to me....... I dedicate this award to my country... " ofcource this is from the oscar ceremony. Best speach is from Resul ..more

Answered by Alexander Mathew