Q.

I am a retired professor.Monthly running is around 600-700 Kms.I own a Maruti Alto Lxi.I want a change.Same mileage like Alto , better space n comfort.My budget is around 4 lakhs.Kindly advise.

Tags: money, relationships, cars & bikes
Asked by Damodar Biswal, 29 Jul '10 05:19 pm

1.

Hi Mr. Damodar,

You have mentioned that your monthly travel is less than 1000 Kms, such little running does not justify spending a premium on a Diesel variant. That having said as mentioned by Omega your choices are narrowed down to
Maruti Wagon R, Hyundai i10 (1.1 Ltr engine, not the 1.2 Kappa), Chevrolet Beat and the Ford Figo.

I would recommend that you go in for the new Maruti Wagon R as it takes care of all the parameters important to you. Maruti has the advantage of a wide spread and excellent service network, inexpensive spare part prices and is also very fuel efficient.

If you can stretch your budget a little I would suggest you can try the Nissan Micra, Maruti Swift / Ritz also.

You should narrow your final options down to 3 models and test drive each before making a decision.
Answered by Kunaal Saigal, 11 Aug '10 04:10 pm

(1)
 (0)
2.

Three things you would have to dovetail to your requirements - your choice in giving preference to one over the other - mileage, space and style.

If you are looking mainly for mileage and space, Wagon R is one answer. It gives high KPL (km per litre), good space and height and I am told by the owners that it has low maintenance costs. Whether you like it or not, depends on your own view of its looks because preference for a model is always a matter of individual choice.

Then you have Indica Diesel - a much improved models now, with minimum noise, decent comforts & looks. But it is a diesel vehicle and they are known to cost more in terms of maintenance.

Of course, price is important. There are hardly any avaialble below 3 lacs but the 3 to 5 lacs has a lot to offer. You have:

[Prices would vary depending on models, variants, features etc one wants]
Answered by Omega, 31 Jul '10 12:31 pm

(2)
 (0)
3.

Buy Indian - INDICA !
Answered by Sunil Dodeja, 29 Jul '10 06:59 pm

(0)
 (1)
4.

Go for I 10 or Santro depending on your budget
Answered by iqbal seth, 29 Jul '10 06:02 pm

(0)
 (1)
5.

You can buy Santro ,it is nice to drive and trouble free.
Answered by venkatesaldevarajan, 29 Jul '10 05:37 pm

(0)
 (1)
6.

Indica diesel may be a good option
Answered by anil garg, 29 Oct '10 03:53 pm

(0)
 (0)