Q.

Wha tis an ORMOLU ??

Tags: relationships, education, science
Asked by SriniVenkat, 03 Mar '10 04:38 pm

1.

I have decorative mounts made of ormolu on items of French Antique furniture in my home. Basically brass items which has been gilded with real gold. The French in the 19th century were particularly fond of making ormolu mounts to use as trims on furniture legs and all drawer handles and escutcheons were made of ormolu. I also have a table lamp which has an ormolu base. It looks better with age than when it is bright and new.
Answered by Janis, 03 Mar '10 05:44 pm

(0)
 (0)

2.

Ormolu, also called ground gold, is a coating put on an object to imitate the look of gold.
The manufacture of true ormolu employs a process known as mercury-gilding or fire-gilding, in which a solution of nitrate of mercury is applied to a piece of copper, brass, or bronze, followed by the application of an amalgam of gold and mercury. The item was then exposed to extreme heat until the mercury burned off and the gold remained, adhered to the metal object. Most mercury gilders died by the age of 40 due to exposure to the harmful mercury fumes.
Source : Wikipedia
Answered by Uncommon Freind, 03 Mar '10 04:41 pm

(1)
 (0)
3.

Rolled gold.
Answered by nkpathak, 03 Mar '10 05:08 pm

(1)
 (0)