Q.

What are the probable dangers due to increasing cholesterol ? How to reduce it ?

Tags: food, health, science
Asked by joyesh chakraborty, 17 Jun '11 12:22 pm

1.

Cholesterol is a paradox: Everyone needs it, but too much of this good thing can spell trouble for some people. A soft fat-like substance, cholesterol aids vital bodily functions such as building new cells and producing hormones.

The body gets cholesterol in two ways: 80% of it is produced by the liver and the rest comes from your diet. Cholesterol is found in foods derived from animal products, like meat, cheese, poultry, or fish.

Note that foods that don't contain animal products may contain another harmful substance called trans fats which cause your body to produce more cholesterol. Also, foods with saturated fats cause the body to make more cholesterol.

Cholesterol is carried through the bloodstream by attaching to certain proteins. The combination is called a lipoprotein. There are four different types of lipoproteins that carry cholesterol in the blood:

High density lipoprotein (HDL) or "good cholesterol"
Low density lipoprotein (LDL) or "bad cholesterol"
Answered by Nirmlankur Rao, 17 Jun '11 12:28 pm

(1)
 (0)

Q.

Answered by Om Shrivastava