Q.

The guidelines of Rediff Q/A say that English is the medium here. Then why do members exchange messages and answer in several other languages?

Asked by gem mina, 24 Jan '09 03:29 pm

1.

Although English is stipulated in the Guidelines there is currently no method of policing it. At present, using another language is not grounds for an abuse report.
The fact is that Q&A is a world wide web site and the required medium is English. Not everyone speaks Hindi and therefore a large percentage of the questions posted in Hindi are not available for response from English speakers. Users on this site obviously all have knowledge of English otherwise they would not be able to use the site at all - formatted as it is in the English language. I feel they can message on each others pages in whatever language they like just as long as it is not offensive, however to be fair to all the Q&A pages should be in English only. It can be seen that there will always be an element of users with a "couldn't care less attitude" which in itself says all we need to know about those users themselves.
Answered by Janis, 24 Jan '09 04:35 pm

(4)
 (0)

2.

Even if it was not in the guidelines of Rediff Q&A, almost all the participants would have opted English as the true medium for exchanging the communication on those topics we could not have dreamed to have before us for consideration. To me, only this Language possesses the viable strength and unlimited scope for any cause among the persons of different categories as well as nationality. I simply cannot think to have in depth communication with a scholar, who lives in Cairo, of extreme knowledge in the History of Roman Empire and Myths, if English is not the medium of our correspondence. Without second opinion, even the entire volume of Rediff community would concur upon the statement that English is a global language because its status has far surpassed all the barriers. Wherever you go, you are sure to find someone who speaks, reads, writes English, even though in accent far different from yours. Considering this aspect of the language, I am afraid, using other local language or ...more
Answered by Indra Pawar, 24 Jan '09 07:51 pm

(3)
 (0)
3.

Who cares. we are communicating thats enough. language doesn't matters
Answered by jolly, 24 Jan '09 03:31 pm

(1)
 (3)
4.

Angrezi to likh te hain, yaar.
Answered by Dharmarajan, 24 Jan '09 03:31 pm

(0)
 (1)
5.

Hi Gem, interesting question! I'm attempting this question because of Indra, he told me about this question.He has very well emphasized on the necessity of English as a global laguage especially if we have to deal with someone who does not understands our mother tongue.Coming back to my answer, I also feel bad when a person answers any question in Hindi.It does not looks nice for sure.Also, its wrong for a person to post a question in Hindi or any such language which the majority cannot understand or are not mentioned in the guidelines.A better Eglish and good writing style always gathers attention and appreciation..... Personally, I don't ask or answer questions in Hindi though I use Hindi words in my answers at a time. Still trying to improve my writing skills,I need to concentrate more on the grammatical errors I commit, not because of this Rediff QnA but only because of its status as de facto lingua franca language of the world. For me, aswering or asking questions in English is ...more
Answered by prashant sharma, 25 Jan '09 06:10 pm

(0)
 (0)
6.

I think there is no harm in exchanging a message as long as the person to whom the message is addressed understands it. I have seen people send messages in other languages to even those who do not know a word of it. English ought to be strictly a medium for asking and answering questions. The management won't on their own object to anything which is posted on the forum. They turn Nelson's eye even to the messages with most abusive content. The will take cognizance of it only if someone abuses it. Same is with the things posted in other languages. Since, none has raised any objection it is carrying on unabated.
Answered by Jack Johnson, 25 Jan '09 11:11 am

(0)
 (0)
7.

The importance of RediffQNA is how we convey our view or express our answer to the particular Q.To express our view we can use our ability or talent convenient to us.The answer is read not only by the questionaire but by other members too.In that respect language should not be a bar.How the right thought or view expressed is more important.
Answered by Rachana, 25 Jan '09 12:03 am

(0)
 (0)
8.

Yes, you are right. If somebody reports them abuse, it will be blocked by the moderator.
Answered by Joseph Chacko, 24 Jan '09 06:09 pm

(0)
 (0)
9.

We can exchange messages in any lang. we feel comfortable with. Its not a serious matter... Wat matters is one shud not use offensive or filthy words while answering / messaging anybody. Recently, i got one such mesge but thanks to God that i was online n i imm. delete it....I think such IDs shud be blocked by d mod. permanantly.
Answered by sumati gayki, 24 Jan '09 03:38 pm

(0)
 (0)
10.

Thanks Gem mina for taking up the issue. I had done thrice before, but to no avail. The number of persons happy with flouting the guidelines is seen found increasing. Strangely, the moderator who is very keen in admitting abuse report on innocent qns and answers, and always on the toes to deduct points for violation of guidelines, plays totally innocent of this menace. How will these honourable forum members feel if others start answering the qns in hindi in their mother tongue?
Answered by thampy chacko, 24 Jan '09 03:36 pm

(0)
 (0)

Q.

India is seeking moral support of International community because India is not isolated from aminstream . Kashmir issue is a problem between two count..more

Answered by Danendra Jain