Q.

Who kept the name Earth?

Tags: name, earth
Asked by He She, 16 Jan '08 02:52 pm

1.

hey its not me
Answered by muskansmily, 16 Jan '08 02:53 pm

(0)
 (0)
2.

I think it's pretty impossible to say exactly who first named the planet 'Earth'. Actually, I really doubt one person really named it intentionally; rather it developed over time as part of the English language. Earth is Old English and German in origin, related to the Old Saxon 'ertha', the Dutch 'aerde', and the German 'erda'. Terra is a French and Latin word, and so isn't part of the 'Earth' etymology. I'm not really an expert on words and word origins, but it seems likely that people used Earth to mean 'land' and then it was the natural thing to refer to all the land and the planet. I tried to look up more specific details about the specific usage of the word over time, but even the Oxford English Dictionary (online) admits:

Answered by Mahesh Shetye, 16 Jan '08 03:01 pm

(0)
 (0)

Q.

Gail - gas authority of india ltdsail - steel auth same as aboveongc - oil and natural gas corporation wwf- world wildlife fund / world wrestling fede..more

Answered by crazy singh