Q.

What was prophet muhammad's
charter of privileges to christians
letter to the monks of st. catherine monastery ?

Tags: education, books, privileges
Asked by ABDULLAH, 22 Nov '11 04:56 pm

1.

In 628 C.E. Prophet Muhammad (s) granted a Charter of Privileges to the monks of St. Catherine Monastery in Mt. Sinai. It consisted of several clauses covering all aspects of human rights including such topics as the protection of Christians, freedom of worship and movement, freedom to appoint their own judges and to own and maintain their property, exemption from military service, and the right to protection in war.

An English translation of that document is presented below.

This is a message from Muhammad ibn Abdullah, as a covenant to those who adopt Christianity, near and far, we are with them.
Verily I, the servants, the helpers, and my followers defend them, because Christians are my citizens; and by Allah! I hold out against anything that displeases them.
No compulsion is to be on them.
Neither are their judges to be removed from their jobs nor their monks from their monasteries.
Answered by muslimah, 22 Nov '11 05:02 pm

(3)
 (0)
2.

No compulsion is to be on them.
Answered by truth exposed, 22 Nov '11 04:57 pm

(2)
 (0)