Q.

More and more aged people are either kicked out of their homes by their children or totally neglected and ignored at home....how can the present generation prepare itself so that it does not face the same fate tomorrow.

Tags: children, people, homes
Asked by sumitha, 12 Nov '07 01:42 pm

1.

My children are very loving, very affectionate and very understanding today. But can I vouch my old age on their mercy. Definitely, no. Because you don't know what will happen tomorrow. My daughter may get married to a guy, who may not have the same feelings and in time, she too may change and my son may marry a girl, and he would simply turn out to be a "loud speaker" for her. Not deriding my own blood, but simply stating the fact. NO ONE CAN BUY A GUARANTEE FOR TOMORROW. There are so many improbables, so many mitigating circumstances and so much would have changed 15 or 20 years from now. I wouldn't even blame my children for that. They have their life to carry on in the way they think it should be lived out. Why be an impediment to that, forcing ourself on them, which will only lead to strained relations. OR circumstances are such that, they are in a far land and we don't want a relocation at that stage and age of our life.

Answered by Alpha, 12 Nov '07 03:30 pm

(1)
 (0)
2.

To put it in very few words, this problem arises because the earnings potential of older generations has declined and will continue to do so.

Solution lies in valuing life both old and new irrespective of their earnings in past, present or future.
Answered by gurudev, 15 Nov '07 02:52 am

(1)
 (0)
3.

An excellent & appreciable Q by Sumitha.
Every time we blame to the youngers for their actions n activities.As everyday we get new things in our life,a person(elders) should also change to adjust with the new things arrond us.I fully agree with EmM that trumph card is in HIS hands.We are doing our best for the parents & hope for the best from our children.Just we need to prepare ourselves to move with our children in the city or country where they settle themselves for their better future & aged ppl should have the capacity to change their thinking of living in the same old city for whole life time.I understand ,it may be difficult for them but mark it well -no portion of life is without struggle.This is all made by nature & everyone should keep it in mind.
And about old age home...It is good & last hope for the elders but availability is very less in every state.Just for info --one of NRI is making a huge Old age home in 15 acres in Punjab at Doraha -- www.dbctrust.com
Answered by $UBHA$H, 14 Nov '07 02:47 pm

(1)
 (0)
4.

This has been my pet subject and have been soliciting opinion for quite some time now. It is not just financial independence but an independent fun filled life backed by a full infrastructure without having to disturb their children who may not be around. I do not agree with you that children choose to neglect their elders. This is not true. It is simple logic. The present scenario clearly shows the way to have group living of like minded people.
Answered by gem mina, 13 Nov '07 02:53 pm

(1)
 (0)
5.

I'll tell you my preparations for my old age.

Just as every month I put aside a packet for my children's higher education fund I put aside an equal amount for our old age too. I am not making the mistake of considering their education fund my old age fund. To educate them is my responsibility BUT I will not EXPECT that because I am fulfilling my responsibility they too will take care of their and look after us in our twilight years.

As long as I have funds atleast one major worry of finances in old age is off our heads.Also, my husband and I have made clear cut wills that the kids get nothing in either of our lifetimes. Till we are around its all ours.

Tomorrow they may still be loving caring children but they may decided to immigrate and if if they take care of our physical and financial needs we may still be lonely bereft of their company. For that too I am preparing myself mentally.

Answered by EmM, 12 Nov '07 04:51 pm

(1)
 (0)
6.

First & foremost, make such provisions that u remain financially independent till your death. Follow Mahabharta's simple theory of Vaana Prastha Ashram. This does not necessarily mean that one has to abandon everything & go to jungle :).
After sixties a person shud accept that his qualitative life is over & should start pulling himself out of the involvement. Expect least from the nearer & dearer ones. Form new friendships, groups, circles, hobbies, while maintaining the older ones. And finally always remember that Lord Krishna & all powerful Arjuna also had to take a retirement after their 'Avatar Kaarya' was over. Lesser the attachment in family ( yr own spouse, only exception ), the better.

CR
Answered by Cocktail, 12 Nov '07 03:10 pm

(1)
 (0)
7.

Present generation should make friends circle outside and discuss the issues.
Answered by VIJAY DHANWADE, 12 Nov '07 02:02 pm

(1)
 (0)
8.

Present generation can't live more than 40 yrs
Answered by heartbroke, 12 Nov '07 01:44 pm

(1)
 (0)
9.

Everone needs to think aloud and the society needs to remove this menace
Answered by anil garg, 19 Aug '09 11:40 pm

(0)
 (0)