Q.

When you have to select a suitable candidate for a post, will you consider age and gender as a limiting factor? For example, if a man and a lady are found equally deserving for the post, will you be biased with age or gender? In many companies when it comes to promotion, ladies are disqualified, though they have equal eligibility. Why?

Tags: money, relationships, education
Asked by Muktha Radhakrishnan, 17 Nov '09 01:32 pm

1.

The glass ceiling is something most women face in the corporate world. Howmuch ever we may deny it, this is still a man's world and very few are able to make a place in that world... While hiring, when having a male/female candidates of equal expertise.....the male will certainly be given the preference...the discrimination is not always visible but subtle. Disparity in salaries, working hours and prospects of growth and promotion is not uncommon or unheard of. The major issue is that a woman will not be able to give her 100% to the job because she will always put her family first no matter what. But these days a woman with a strong support system will definitely able to give more than 100% to her job and succeed if she is given a chance like women like Indra Nooyi, Patricia Woertz, Chanda Kocchar, and many others have proved that.

Answered by sumitha, 18 Nov '09 11:33 am

(1)
 (0)
2.

Suitability for the job is the supreme condition. I'll elaborate through an example which happened with me, I think about 12-13 years back, we were looking for a "competent" electronic engineer for our industry in Rajasthan. We searched for close to a year and in the meanwhile had experimented with more than 2 dozen degree & diploma engineers (unintentionally, all males). Then came an application by a woman candidate who hd the right qualification but not experience in this field (which even others didn't have, as we were the pioneers in our field).

She was called for an interview and I remember it very well that she had answered all questions confidently and thoroughly. She finished a few practical fact finding and troubleshooting tasks also.

Answered by rajneesh Rediff, 18 Nov '09 11:42 am

(2)
 (0)
3.

For ur first part...I wud say no....and for the second part , I wud like to say that in my opinion, there is no reason to make a decision biased wid gender specifically....but as far as age is considered, there might be a problem for the management 's top level of hierarchy to select a junior from two canditates , being equally competent for promotion due to different factors.They may tend to select the senior one, as if the senior is carrying higher point due to his/her age factor....
Answered by bijoy agarwala, 20 Nov '09 08:31 pm

(1)
 (0)
4.

Age and gender need not be given undue importance provided certain conditions are met. And both do matter too when we take into consideration the nature of job. I think it would be in the fairness of things to first detail out what the job entails, what it involves and what is the kind of schedules that it would involve. Lot many times, Companies give it out only the basic requirements where as the job by itself would have far more taxing requirements. Having done that, it is better to get an acquiescence from the aspirants as to their ability to conform to the requirements.

In the kind of scenario that exists in each Industry, it does not really boil down to just the 'deserving' qualification for that job, because each Industry has their own peculiar needs, requirements, adherence etc to certain unique aspects. And in this age and gender does matter to a great extent. A simple eg. Suppose it is a Company which is heavily export oriented and you need a candidate to take overall in- ...more
Answered by Omega, 18 Nov '09 11:22 am

(1)
 (0)
5.

Recently I selected a girl. As per company's system, I could specify preferred gender depending upon the nature of the work. This is primarily done to avoid any future problems, if the job involves travelling or other pressures like late night duties etc. At the time of appointment, HR had a concern also, because the selected candidate is married for last two years and so could go on maternity leave soon and work could get affected. I preferred to go ahead with my decision, telling that even an unmarried girl can get married in next one month and can become pregnant in next three months. So it does not matter to me and as regards boy or girl - as long as this person can deliver me the results that I want, I am least bothered about the selected candidate being boy or girl.

For your kind information, at the place of my work - 50% of senior management team comprises of women and there is even a lady on board of directors for the unit I work.
Answered by manish varma, 18 Nov '09 11:05 am

(1)
 (0)
6.

Women being accepted as superior to men in all respects has yet to seep in. I would go by who would suit best for a particular post regardless of age and gender and would not be biased to select a women just because I am one!!
Answered by gem mina, 18 Nov '09 05:48 am

(1)
 (0)
7.

Today, I find women are as aggressive as men and giving a tough competition. In many IT and ITES Companies, you can find many women Managers/CEOs who have grown up the ladder with their smart and hard work. So, in an ideal company, there is no such discrimination and both men and women are treated on merits. However, I agree that there are many companies where discrimination is practised, for reasons best known to them and women deprived of growth and promotions. Generally speaking, loyalty factor is high amongst women and many Companies think that lady staff will not resign even if promotions are denied. In addition, hard work/your efficiency will also become a disadvantage in getting promotions, as it is difficult to find people at working level. So, working women must constantly upgrade their skills, keep attending interviews, atleast a few in a year to know where they stand in competition and look for growth even outside the company they work.
Answered by M Shankar, 17 Nov '09 07:52 pm

(1)
 (0)
8.

This all depends on the nature of the job. Women are not preferred in some jobs, if their absence due to maternity can cause trouble.. The replacement candidate may not be as good, or experienced. In some jobs men are preferred, as they can attend office work late night. But some jobs like nursing, air hostess, secretary, receptionists, etc only females are preferred.. You have to consider that too.
Answered by subhash, 17 Nov '09 07:01 pm

(1)
 (0)
9.

If ur boss is THARKI only then it will happed to u!
Answered by Anamika Gupta, 17 Nov '09 02:38 pm

(1)
 (0)
10.

Selection of a suitable candidate & gender depends upon the nature of business the concerned company has. There are many company and job which a lady candidate herself deny to take over. Therefore, the jobs go to male candidate. Now a days, an employee have to work till late night as a part time for completion of assignment and ladies employee cannot do that. In such circumstances, male employees are the left options for the company.

For office use, ladies are employeed at every places and gents are avoided now a days.

But when you go to govt. sector, most places ladies are getting job at most the places.
Answered by ajay, 17 Nov '09 02:34 pm

(1)
 (0)

Q.

Saudi Visa Requirements Everyone who enters the Kingdom should have a valid passport with at least 6 months validity and the appropriate visa. Unless..more

Answered by Virgoncerian