Q.

Do you think M F Hussain got a fair treatment from the Indians and the Indian government?

Asked by vinod, 15 Mar '10 04:13 am

1.

Vinod,at first let me thank you for inviting me to answer your question.

This is a sensitive topic and I have gone through http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M._F._Husain before venturing to answer this question.

Love him or hate him, M F Husain is a legend. This nonagenarian artist who paints barefooted is well known across the world for his numerous paintings. His publicity first started when he named Bollywood Diva Madhuri Dixit as his muse and from then on every work of him has received great publicity which have earned him his fair share of fans and critics. Due to this publicity his nude paintings of Hindu deities which he created in 1970 became an issue in 1996. Religion is a very sensitive topic and any such depiction of Hindu deities which comes to light is bound to attract controversy. Also his depiction of Bharatmata as a nude women is a case of taking things too far. I quote Gopal Adivrekar, former President, Bombay Art Society, Nothing is bad in being creative but the a ...more
Answered by Mitali Choudhury, 16 Mar '10 01:53 pm

(2)
 (0)
2.

Intellectually, he doesn't hold much ground. Most of us have been ill - treated by the state or someone at one time or another ... does it mean we disown that person?

This fellow has forgotten that whatever he is today is due to his country and he should be thankful to India if not Indians.

For any other issue that he might have I think we are not competent enough to comment, as we are not aware of what actually transpired in his life.
Answered by rajneesh Rediff, 15 Mar '10 09:11 pm

(4)
 (0)
3.

Vinod, I don't know all that but I have few points to make:-

a) We Indians have a very low or maybe almost zero understanding of Art. So while deciding what is good, bad or offensive art, we are either dependent on our own layman's perspective which definitely isn't good enough or are guided by what others say.

b) India is a free democratic country. It has given an equal right to everybody to express his/her ideas the way he/she wants. So this way, I am okay with the controversial paintings of MFH. (Another thing is that I don't understand those paintings. I can't decide what made them good or bad!). But yes, I did not felt offended. The same way, I am okay with several cases filed against him. People have right to take him to the court if they have a reason.

Answered by prashant sharma, 24 Mar '10 06:02 pm

(1)
 (0)
4.

Dear Vinod,
Good afternoon,
Ah! Leave this old man. Comparing different cultures has caused much of the dispute.The difference in values leads the people to communicate all of their thoughts, feelings or emotions not so clearly, and we cannot exactly find the answers that why MF chose to do so.
Still, It is no secret that despite multiple attempts to demonstrate art in conflicting forms, which in my opinion speaks volumes about the character of MF, It is logical to think that more words than art is needed to describe one meaning that symbolizes how important is our society and how resilient is our country and its' people. MF,depended on controversial art to defend his social obligation and democratic rights. Due to his unfathomed fame and fortune very much earned here in India, he had difficulty dealing with reality and became non-empathetic and manipulative.I believe, MF is just an utilitarian, objective, unsentimental, tough minded, self-reliant, no-nonsense, rough, suspicious, ...more
Answered by prabhat kumar kumar, 16 Mar '10 03:37 pm

(1)
 (0)
5.

I know him as just an artist vinodji,and as a popular being makes him different person,his freedom of expressions then relate to different sensibilities and sentiments,there your fair and unfair treatment gets his inflammatory wings,and we all sometimes better in it to outmuscle,how much of how we feel,how much of who we are as people two different thing likewise the same indians and indian goverment:))
Answered by himanshu sharma, 16 Mar '10 12:19 am

(1)
 (0)
6.

What unfair treatment did he get? In fact he has been given a privelage that all his cases bunched into 3 only. The fact is that he has settled in a country where the taxes are low as compared to India.
Answered by Vikram, 15 Mar '10 10:20 am

(1)
 (0)
7.

Yes He left India .....govt did not throw him out
Answered by Kuldeep Khatau, 15 Mar '10 04:55 am

(1)
 (0)
8.

A very sensitive question indeed. MF Hussain no doubt is a great artist. But he could have avoided the kind of controversy he is into, even if it is in the name of art.
Answered by Good Citizen, 21 Mar '12 11:29 am

(0)
 (0)
9.

No,not a fair one
Answered by anil garg, 21 Feb '12 11:49 pm

(0)
 (0)