Q.

Today morning I came across a good question (most practical) from one Mr. GL Bhasin. The question did not receive much response. Only two (including me) responded. The question, I append, is as under:
We perform 'pind daan' during Shradh so that out ancesstors get 'Moksha'. how is that we have to repeat this every year. dont they get 'moksh' in one time 'pind dan'. How do we know they have got the 'moksha', learned answers please.
I request our senior and intelligent rediff members to reply to his question.

Asked by Vaidyanathan Trichur, 20 Sep '08 09:45 am

1.

It would be a pity if all my karmas would be negated if my children did not do these rituals every year.... All these rituals for the dead every year keeps the pockets of the priests well lined. I dont think my ancestors would curse me if i dont do these things year after year.... It is just for personal satisfaction thats all
Answered by Satish Kamath, 20 Sep '08 09:54 am

(2)
 (0)
2.

It is a belief.
weather they get moksha or not, it is a ritual to remember your loved ones who passed away on that particular day.
I do not agree that they get only moksha if we give pind daan.
today busy lifes and places we stay it may be possible or not at times.
the way the purohit take money may also gives us a feeling that it is better to stop this as just to have food they charged 150rs with lot of bargain for one person.
I understand that they will go to some other house also and eat again to earn.
it is not their fault, they have to feed a family back home.
seeing all this i decided to give pind daan thru raghavendra math.
the system is pay 6000 rupees at one time, for life on the thithi day they will give food for 6 people. i felt this is the right method as hungry 6 people are get fed on that day in my father's thithi and another 6 on my mother's thithi, weather i will be present or not with out fail it will be carried out for ever.
Answered by vedula rs, 21 Sep '08 01:19 am

(1)
 (0)
3.

I have gone through the answers given by most acclaimed and scholar members of this forum. Answers indeed do not carry any prejudiced meaning but are based on their individual learning and understanding about a complicated tradition. As Mr Panicker rightly pointed out, it cannot be upheld by any scientifical theory though science leaves no room for verification in the cases of any other spiritual, traditional or mythological belief. Hence, we have to set aside the science to find out an acceptable answer. In the kingdom of animals,man is most complicated one who cannot be analysed or proved satisfactorily to every individual acceptance. One side of his activities go along illuminated and sophisticated path, the other side passes through dark and unfathomable path and both makes him always different from all other creatures and his own chorus. When all other creatures forget the dead ancestors, he maintains his fraternity and fellowship with them thorugh many self-made beliefs and rit ...more
Answered by vinayan joseph, 20 Sep '08 08:23 pm

(1)
 (0)
4.

"What we sow, so shall we reap" With this as the background no amount of offerings to the deity in whichever religion is going to get moksha to the dead soul excepting by the good that is done when he or she has been in this world. That is my strong belief but this ritual goes on in every single religion and needs a second look.
Answered by gem mina, 20 Sep '08 06:49 pm

(1)
 (0)
5.

No, no..you cant give daan of pinda to give preta something which you dont know... preta will feel happy that his descendant remembered him..shraddh means attention .. it is intended that at least for one year , you pay attention to your ancestors..there are six debts==deva runa, pitru runa, preta runa.....moksh is not possible even if you give pinda daan daily to pretas..moksh is something very special...it means desireless...a man has to act with high discipline when he is living ..then only he can get moksha.. not after his death.. at best, preta will get swarga loka if his descendant performs penance for many years and then gives his punya to him...
pretas one day is equal to one year of humans.. that is why it is sufficient to give pinda daan once in a year...some people give pinda daan or tila daan(blackgrams with water)on every no moon day and surya eclipse..
Answered by umamaheswara rao, 20 Sep '08 06:41 pm

(1)
 (0)
6.

This is not true but written in so many books so people believe.Buddha & so many have said Moxya only possible person has done good karmas & completed faced all karmas or burnt by meditation and purified bodies.
Answered by JAYANTILAL PATEL, 20 Sep '08 05:30 pm

(1)
 (0)
7.

I think I will attempt to answer your question. There are two schools of thought,specially on religiou matters. One is scientific (relayed by the modern science ) and another on Myth i.e created by old timers specially Pundits (not Pandits as I am one).Unfortunetely all (or most) of the religious rituals fall under the catagory of Myth and have been created by interested people.In due course they become rituals and are practiced blindly by majority of people. There is no discussion or open minded school of thought on these matters.
Answered by prabhakar pandit, 20 Sep '08 05:10 pm

(1)
 (0)
8.

I believe that the departed souls attain 'moksha' depedning on their 'Karmas'.

The whole year we have various celebrations so for me, it ia a day of dedication in memory of my loved ones who are no more with us physically.

May be it is our selfishness that we perform this so as to get their blessings for ourselves and for our future generations believing they are one with God now.
Answered by vandana iyer, 20 Sep '08 03:14 pm

(1)
 (0)
9.

I agree with you and question contains logical point even. i carry a different meaning for death and any thing after death. to attribute meaning considering even on general view on death and any thing after death, the act of performing Pinda daan during Shradh for ancestors to get Moksha, i feel, more than the reason of attaining Moksha, such act is a way of remembering our ancestors and when a person who prefers to do such act will find devotion. a person of devotion normally considered as a person harmless to society. overall reason for these kind of rituals is to maintain moral in the society!
Answered by dinkar shetty, 20 Sep '08 01:27 pm

(1)
 (0)
10.

The Shradh that we do for the departed , is to pray for the departed souls' peaceful rest., its on God to decide about the Moksha factor , bcos a man's life and death is compounded by Good and Bad Deeds , more the good deeds in life more easy for god to decide , the bad deeds if any keeps haunting even the departed and even those who are alive in the generation next of the family.., but everything is repaired thru prayers , that plays an important role .
Answered by kishoranandvittalmangalore, 20 Sep '08 01:04 pm

(1)
 (0)

Q.

Preorder Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol and buy his other books including The Da Vinci Code The Lost Symbol by Down Brown has its own Twitter page The pa..more

Answered by Tarun Namdeo