Q.

What do you understand by "Total Quality Management"? Give a good industry example by highlighting it's merits :)

Asked by Sukhoi, 21 Jul '07 12:00 am

1.

TQM stands for Total Quality Management. The origin dates back to 1930s, by Walter Shewhart. Later supported by Edwards Deming during 1950s, applied to serve Federal Government of Japan and so also named as TQL (Total Quality Leadership) What I mean by it? Let me break it up!

Total - Constituting the entire or whole.
Quality - Degree of excellence of the product or service.
Management - Art and science of managing any operations with tools and techniques.

And so, TQM is the ART of managing the WHOLE to achieve EXCELLENCE. More formally, TQM is a an enhancement to the traditional way of doing business. A 'philosophy', methodology for continuous monitoring and incremental improvement of a business processes by identifying causes of variation and reducing them. Many Gurus gave their own implementations like Taguchi's Quality Engineering. Various tools & techniques used are Benchmarking, IT, QMS like ISO series, number of Statistical Process Controls, Experimental Designs et al... lis ...more
Answered by Summer Rose, 27 Jul '07 07:29 am

(0)
 (0)
2.

TQM is an improvemental technique whereas if we compare it wid BPR then it is an innovational technique.It has an incremental level of change with existing process being taken as starting point and it requires relatively shorter span of time.It has a narrow scope withing function only and hence we can say that it has a moderate risk factor.It is normally a quality improvement management system as i have wrote earlier and hence i will say that it is linked with International organisation for standardisation(ISO) system,wich provide the quality certificate to any company.
I know only tha much and hence i m student only so cant really say much abt industry.
thanxxx
Answered by ahmad omar, 24 Jul '07 12:55 am

(0)
 (0)
3.

I was an Active member of the INDIA'S FIRST TPM company.
Vikram CEMENTS, A group of Aditya Birla Companies.I really worked for 3 years and was in association with the activities.So you might be knowing it better, rather than I explain it.
Answered by GOPI KUMAR, 21 Jul '07 12:04 am

(0)
 (0)
4.

TQM means compliance with international quality management system.If it is a manufacturing industry,then ISO9001 applies.If it is a software industry,then ISO 22000.The merit of this system is that a company can compete in the world business
Answered by sangeetha perumal, 21 Jul '07 12:12 am

(0)
 (0)