Q.

During a long drive/journey how do you spend time: reading books, listening to music, sleeping, eating, interacting with co-travelers, or watching the passing by scenes of places and people?

Tags: travel, music, books
Asked by Muktha Radhakrishnan, 20 Jan '10 06:10 pm
Answer this question  Earn 10 points for answering     Map Successfully AddedAdd Map

1.

Muktha, I would love to take this question in the manner of tour kind journey instead of ordinary or occasional long drive to attend a family function or going for meeting etc. I work in such field that there are minimum chances of going for long drive; so whenever I do, I do it as arranging long tours with my own set of friends who are interested in similar journey activities. Except Kashmir and Far East provinces like Manipur, Tripura, I travelled thru almost all parts of India with our own vehicle and mostly without assistance of professional drivers. Point is, whenever we arrange these types of long journey, naturally there are `must` kinds facilities like musical instruments, CDs, local edibles, cameras, radio (for cricket); recently even LapTop too has become latest addition in the list. But among 6, I am always the sole fellow who takes books on travel topics and that has become point of irritation to other buddies as they expect me to engage in chitchat while the sumo`s on road ...more
Answered by Indra Pawar, 21 Jan '10 11:24 am

(1)
 (0)
2.

I guess it is a combination of everything, though it is a long time since I have travelled by train now. There is nothing more one can do in a long journey when you are at the wheel other than keeping a close watch on what is in front and it is only on long stretches that one has that freedom of liberty to glance around, which again for me is a tough task long drives mean much more to me than watching the scenery passing by -:))

During long journeys it is always a combination of all that you have mentioned. I make it a point to buy a new book, but rarely get to read more than say 50 pages of it, because I dont' know what brings it on - the moment you pick up a book and start reading, you feel sleepy in a train. Very funny. If there are good co-passengers with whom one can vibe well and are good conversationalist in a easy going manner, then I prefer to talk to them for the simple reason of killing the monotony. But when you have small kids travelling which was the case one time, I t ...more
Answered by Omega, 21 Jan '10 10:41 am

(2)
 (0)
3.

Fine..good question!
Answered by peeping tom, 11 Aug '12 06:28 pm

(1)
 (0)
4.

I do all these things. Just think, in a journey of 28 hrs, variety is essential. Is it not ? So all options are open..
Answered by subhash, 22 Jan '10 11:00 pm

(1)
 (0)
5.

Hi Muktha, a beautiful Q of travel and same Q I had answered with all entusiasm ,in a different way when each time query differed slightly with topic.Your this query is how you spend time.Well ,travel are of differnt types,ie on road,on water and in air.In air travel we get nothing to see,even if we get the window seat we can only undisturbed clouds.During taking off and landing we get a glimpse of the aerial view of the cites.So flight journey is where a book is a must for me.Most of good reading I had done in flights,without being disturbed.

I had also done some travel on cruise.But then I had not read much.Peeping and Exploring the depth of water is very enjoyable.Sometimes we happen to see swarms of fishes swimming parallel.Once while crossing English channel , Strait of Dover ie from Dover to Holland.it was the 1st water travel experience for me,abroad.I thoroughly enjoyed the trip.For me learning the people,the way of their dressing ,the food they eat ,the way they interact an ...more
Answered by Rachana, 22 Jan '10 12:04 pm

(1)
 (0)
6.

I like road journey in case of say 300+ KM....if the roads are fine, I would spend watching the passing by scenes, specifically in hills which I enjoy the most. As I dont fly , I have to travel by trains only if it happens to be a long journey...I like to interact wid people and reading books and such journey gives me an opportunity to recapitualte the memorable moments of my ife which I enjoy the most and love to do this over n over again...."Kuchh purani baaten , yaad karke, mand mand muskurane ka maja hi kuch nirala hai...." THanks.
Answered by bijoy agarwala, 21 Jan '10 07:01 pm

(1)
 (0)
7.

A bit of everything,,,
Answered by SHEETAL, 21 Jan '10 03:54 pm

(1)
 (0)
8.

Buy a fashion magazine and create an entirely new imaginary life for myself, allowing only one item from each page which I could have as my own. Create a dream team of cricket players solely based on how hot they are. Being a journalist I take an opportunity interview a few interesting people and take a couple of snaps and post them to lead magazines. I'll also have a DVD player with me but the back-up battery only gives me 2.5 hours of playtime, so, I'll have books and CDs with me, but what else can I do...? Look out through the window and observe all passing objects, which obviously give me a positive feeling that I am moving forward and all those I see backwards. Never gets old no matter where I go. I am sure it will be fun. A little adventure perhaps...?
Answered by Dil Se, 21 Jan '10 02:12 pm

(1)
 (0)
9.

Its my passion to interact with co- travelers . You can know so many different kind of people . You can learn their culture , can be part of their happiness , can be a part of their grief . Sometimes you can have some wonderful informations which you can never learn from a book. Many are so jovial that you cant help yourself other than giggling .Some are so extrovert that they will go on talking . Some are shy and you need to break the barrier . Some are very reserve .. may be introvert may be having some inferiority complex .
Problem comes with these introvert, shy or inferiority complexed people . I was having a tough time to open them up . Then I found a golden key once you convince them that you are dukhier than them , gate will be wide open . My each long journey is a story . If I would not have been a flop writer , each story would have been a best seller :)))
Answered by PARTHA PATHAK, 20 Jan '10 06:44 pm

(1)
 (0)
10.

During Air/Rail Journey,if long ,then as usual asif I am at home & follow formal routine......But if it is a long Drive by Car / or a bus, I try to feel India, Imagine India & her people.Naturally I look outward to see but feel sorry that I donot have any way to interact with Them..........Yet the scenes of the places & Peoples there creates a great impact on me......I think, I visualise, I Imagine....I Dream......
Answered by Santiranjan Pal, 20 Jan '10 06:31 pm

(1)
 (0)

Q.

Graphical User Interface A graphical user interface (GUI) (sometimes pronounced gooey) is a type of user interface item that allows people to interact..more

Answered by jakir hussain