Q.

What is the difference between "humility" & "humiliation ?

Asked by vinay vaidya, 03 Nov '08 05:23 pm

1.

Humility -- or the state of being humble, defined as "not arrogant or prideful." (www.dictionary.com). Humility is a good thing. Humility is a lack of arrogance, an empathy with our fellow man, and an acknowledgement of our fallibility as human beings. Humility is about learning to treat those around us respectfully, to honor their boundaries, and to pay a just and reasonable price for our mistakes. Humility is about not believing that we are too good to pay for our mistakes. Humility is about understanding that we are not above or better than any of our fellow human beings, and that it is therefore never appropriate to disrespect, hurt or offend another. Humiliation is an abuse of power. A good teacher, parent, mentor or professor might teach an errant (or arrogant) student lessons in humility, but show me a teacher, parent, mentor or professor who relies on humiliation to teach his lessons and I'll show you a man in authority abusing his power for the sake of his own e ...more
Answered by PARTHA PATHAK, 03 Nov '08 05:28 pm

(0)
 (0)

Q.

Pride is an essential ingredient of self esteem or self respect. People tell humility is the greatest virtue but my only worry on this statement is th..more

Answered by PARTHA PATHAK