Q.

Religious conversion should be based on one's conviction in another faith than at the expense of economic or social maladies.Please share your valuable opinion on this.
(Let us have a healthy discussion)

Tags: money, relationships, let
Asked by Latimeria, 13 Feb '10 09:12 pm

1.

I am a Christian but I am strongly against conversion. I do not want to bring the member of any other religious group into the fold of Christianity.

Those who aspire to coerce others and make them Christians, in fact are not Christians themselves. They merely profess Christianity, but they are in reality true businesspersons. They build shrines, attract the masses and collect huge donation from so-called gullible devotees. The incentive they offer to the prospective Christians is nothing but a sort of investment for them.

It must be the case with other religions as well. Baba Sahib Ambedkar converted millions of Hindus to Buddhism for his own political gain. Muslim converts others to Islam for a similar reason. You are right; they must base religious conversion on one's conviction rather than anything else. I fully agree with you on this point. Those who convert into another faith for economic or other social reasons are undeserving lot. Eventually either they would go back to ...more
Answered by Jack Johnson, 19 Feb '10 07:11 am

(2)
 (0)
2.

Those who convert to other religion on conviction may not exceed 2-3% of the total conversions. All other conversions have some reasons other than religious, behind them. In one case my schoolmate has converted to Christianity because he has had the promise from the CSI church that they will sponsor his studies if he do so. On getting the sponsorship and successfully completed his higher education in US, he married a Hindu girl with a good dowry. And his argument was that he was a Christian for some 7 years for the money he has received. Such things are detestable. Love marriages between different religion people will succeed only if the the girl forgo her religious sentiments. Such conversions for money,love will never succeed and will cause great hardships in the near future.
Answered by Josna, 19 Feb '10 05:17 pm

(3)
 (0)
3.

Madam, on surface this seems an ideal conception but personally I believe there are many things before considering even an iota of conviction in another faith. I am sure you do know this topic is rather intricate and certainly needs a vast panoramic discussion by many participants to see many aspects on the ground of social, economic before taking into consideration of conviction; besides you never would consider just `Yes` or `No` kind of responses, as I believe the question is very much of social importance having many academic sheds. Nevertheless, let me give a try on the strength of whatever studies and surveys I have with me in this sphere. Forget about Hindu conversion into Buddhism, into Islam as these figures are very insignificant against the Hindus conversion into Christianity. So, let us take the topic in that manner only. To many, whatever figures we have of conversion, they reflect some of the conditions and processes that made widespread conversion to Christianity eventua ...more
Answered by Indra Pawar, 14 Feb '10 01:24 am

(2)
 (1)
4.

Certainly.I fully support your views.Though in India there are a lot of other religion people who do their best to convert other people to their religion by offering them money or other benefits.I suppose every individual should also have a strong faith in his /her own religion and not fall a prey to any grred.The govt. should also take strict action against people forcing conversion.
Answered by HEMANT MEHTA, 13 Feb '10 09:28 pm

(2)
 (1)
5.

It is ironic that something like religion which is a personal relationship with God is being exploited by some ppl and has been converted into some sort of economic / social deal with "GOD".
There are 4 main categories of ppl who convert :
#1 The economically backward
#2 Socially backward
#3 Belief in a faith after studies or personal experience
#4 ppl who convert purely to marry ...to practice bigamy

The economically backward ppl - obviously get impressed with the promises of economic prosperity .. our maid in hometown who is 60+ gave up her religion and converted to christianity for 15 kgs of rice and a free cataract operation. It is pathetic that a lifetime of religious belief can be brought for a paltry sum.

Answered by sumitha, 14 Feb '10 05:15 pm

(2)
 (0)
6.

Sure,, i agree :D
Answered by conviction, 13 Feb '10 09:14 pm

(2)
 (0)
7.

Conversion if offered as a succour to dire economic status is a sin. If someone can do that to someone, it should be done as a charity without strings attached. Conversion with the lure getting away from faulty laws of land is a crime. Conversion using coercion or taking advantage of some weakness so that the convertor responsible is assured of a pucca uncanellable reservation in heaven is despicable. Conversion by any means so that a majority of that community can be established and thus lead to chance of governance or ruling is more abhorrent than all said above. Crusades were wrong. Inquistion was a blasphemy. Christ, Buddha, Mahavira, Guru Nanak did not convert. Guru Gobind singh's call of "Sant Sipahi" concept (Sage warrior or Warrior Sage) or Guru Tegh Bahadur's conviction of "Sir diya par Sirrar na diya" are not conversions. But Guiding the multitudes into right directions.
Answered by Mona Bernard, 19 Feb '10 12:30 pm

(1)
 (0)
8.

I agree religious conversion should be based on faith..that's the ideal method to convert from one religion to another. But the reality is that the poor people have no choice but to convert when they hope for a better life in the social and economic context.
Answered by Mitali Choudhury, 14 Feb '10 04:35 pm

(1)
 (0)
9.

Seeing the question, I could not resist to pitch in with my modest view though belated. The question has several dimensions.

Let us first analyze why there are conversion : The British came to India in the seventeenth Century and five hundred years before that, the Muslim invaded what is now the areas under Modern India. With change in rulers, the conversions started in India. Before the invasion by the Mughals, there was no trace of religious conversions. It is clearly case of effort to dominate the Indian population by foreign rulers. The rulers did their best to increase the population of their believers. The proof is in the progressive increase in the number of Christians and Muslims unrelated to the natural increase due to natality.

Answered by soumyen sarkar, 21 Feb '10 10:24 am

(0)
 (0)

Q.

Lovely kerala dish..more

Answered by Ataur Rahman