Q.

Who discovered raag Hamsadvani? Which is your favorite film song based on this raag?

Asked by Muktha Radhakrishnan, 09 May '09 12:10 pm

1.

According to available theory of Indian classical music it is is the creation of the musical genius, Ramswami Dikshitar, the illustrious father of the legendary Muttuswami Dikshitar ,It is believed to be composed during 1735 - 1817 A.D.

But I wonder is this so modern raga? till day I have heard only one composition which can be said purely on Hanswadhawani ,,\"Jaa tose nahin boloon kanhaiya - film Parivaar \"
Answered by joyesh chakraborty, 09 May '09 01:28 pm

(1)
 (0)
2.

Muktha, since both Shri Joyesh and Madam Sumitha brilliantly presented the technical information you needed as far as the question of the father of the raag `Hamsadhwani` is concerned; I don`t think my adding anything in that line shall prove more worthy. So, instead, let me give you couple of songs based on Raag Hamsadhwani. And you know better than anyone else, from where and from whom I collected this relevant information. But let me assure you that I did that, not only for the sake of answering your query, but in a way I myself enjoyed the delight of listening to these songs, as the Professor was so eager to play these records for me (and even treated me with morning tea and breakfast >>>> thanks to Muktha Radhakrishanan !!!)

Answered by Indra Pawar, 10 May '09 10:38 am

(1)
 (0)
3.

This raag was created by Ramaswami Dikshadhar....and was introduced to Hindustani classical by Ustad Aman Ali Khan of the Bhendibazaar gharana.

I cant remember any song offhand in hindi composed in raag hamsadhwani...but in tamil ...there are quite a few lovely compositions....i am guessing from ur name that u are either tamil or malayalee..so u wud understand i think ...

Ter kondu sendravan yaarendru solladi thozhi from the movie \"Enakkul Oruvan\"

Va Va Va..kanna vaaa (Velaikaran )

mayile mayile - un thogai enge .....kulir kaalam allavo......

All the above 3 are beautiful compositions by Ilayaraja
Answered by sumitha, 09 May '09 08:10 pm

(1)
 (0)
4.

In karnatak thi hansadwany was first opted by muthuswamy dikshitar for vatapi ganapatum bhaje and this rag in hundustahni is also known as hansdhwani and i am not sure of the history .In south it has become oractice since vatapi all ganapathy kritis are composed in hansadwani
Answered by Dinesh C S, 18 May '09 09:18 am

(0)
 (0)