Q.

I have a SB account in India. 6 months back i came to Dubai for an assignment and i got 3 years work permit visa. Now i am sending my Salary to my Own SB account in india. Is that legal? Shall i continue this or should i inform it to my bank regarding this. Please clarify my confusion.

Tags: india, money, careers
Asked by Ravi, 25 Apr '10 03:39 pm

1.

(1) Do not worry. It is perfectly legal.
(2) However, by remitting money to your domestic SB A/c. you are losing the advantage of being an NRI.
(3) Usually, one does not keep a large sum of money in domestic SB A/c for a long time because of taxation problems. You may have to file Income Tax Returns and get PAN card if the money deposited comes under taxable limit. If you fail to comply, the Banker would freeze your A/c.
(4) Since NRI remittance to NRE A/c. in India is tax free, it is advisable to open an NRE A/c in your name in India and you can remit the money to that A/c like any other SB A/c. You enjoy all the facilities like cheque book, Debit Card, transfers etc.
(5) You can open an NRE A/c sitting in Dubai. You may find the branches of SBI, ICICI and HDFC banks in Dubai. Contact any one of them to open an NRE A/c. It is really very easy to open an NRE A/c.
Answered by Tony Fernandez, 25 Apr '10 04:50 pm

(1)
 (0)

Q.

Ram setu is a manmade structure conecting India and Srilanka - NASA claims made 1,50,000 years ago (termed as Adam's bridge by NASA) - the time resemb..more

Answered by Jayanta Saha