Q.

Can the great contest between Karna and Arjun, the crowning incident of the Indian Epic Mahabharat be compared to the contest between Hector and Achilles in the crowning incident in the Iliad?

Tags: education, arjun, incident
Asked by inquisitive, 26 Sep '09 01:55 am

1.

It is such a great disappointment when an answer is lost after an herculean effort to answer it, all because Rediff is a moody fellow who blinks for no reason at all at the most unexpected time. And as a double tragedy, the attempt to copy it as a back up for such an eventuality too fails. Gone with it are everything that came as an answer and reconstructing it from memory is generally an impossible task. Bear with me, that my second effort will be only be a second best from me.

What drew me to the Qn. was the unusual comparison of the two epics and not my ability to answer it with any sense of relevance to the intent of your thought process. It is well known that, with your indepth knowledge, deep study of the subject and natural acumen to dwell deep into the subject, none can best you in writing an answer to your own Qn. I have done only a cursory reading of both the epics a long time back purely from an academic interest and never at any time understanding it completely, either ...more
Answered by Omega, 27 Sep '09 06:39 pm

(1)
 (0)
2.

I havent known about the characters of Hector and Achilles, but i have been made to understand the character of arjun and karna, both were gr8 at archery, both had same guru(dronachrya) but one was with dharma and the other with adhrma, krishna, the saarthi of arjun was made to understand why arjun had to fight against his own people, he said its not he(arjun) is fighting against his people, but he had to fight against the adharma who all were accompanying duryodhan, he had to fight the evil in them nd not his relatives.

karan was gr8 DAANVEER, till he knew arjun was his brother he had enimity for them , no sooner he knows that they his brothers, and he is the eldest brother his attitude towards them changes, he even sacrifices his shield to kunti so that kunti in end has her five pandavs alive.

when arjun is unwilling to fight against his own poeple, krishna, had to expalin him and thus we are blessed with gr8 holy book "GEETA"
Answered by anushka desai, 27 Sep '09 08:09 am

(2)
 (0)
3.

Inqs, In the contest between karan and Arjun,Karna's negativities made him fail from winning. Karna was gifted with Kavach and Kundal,He was brilliant in archery, He got slilled from a very great Guru Parshuram.With his brilliance he could have made his own allies or army.But throughtout ,to get a name, fame and a reputation,he supported Durodhana unreasonably,which means he was against Dharma in every way.As a friend ,he could have atleast stopped Dushasana and Duryodhana from undraping Draupadi.He was totally against Dharma or else ShriKrishnajee would have been on Karna's side as he an additional quality of being Daanveer.In every way Arjun was right to be crowned, Jo Dharam Ke Raaste Gaya ,Shree Krishnajee Unke Sarathi Ban Gaye. Inqs, I am not thorough with Greek Mythology ,hence have no comments about Hector and Achilles.
Answered by Rachana, 27 Sep '09 11:25 pm

(1)
 (0)
4.

No. Both have different contexts, backgrounds and causes in their own.
Answered by nkpathak, 26 Sep '09 04:13 pm

(1)
 (0)
5.

Both have gone through different prospective
Answered by saranathan Narasimhan, 26 Sep '09 03:49 pm

(1)
 (0)
6.

Arjun just injured Karna, the balance Act was done by Lord Krishna Himself! In case of Achilles, though, he had taken the vow of not fighting,but was raged to war due to the death of his close friend Patroclus. He further dragged the dead body of Hector in front of the Gates of Troy! Arjun was not that rage and was always sad that he was fighting against his own men!
Answered by MajorVLoganathan, 26 Sep '09 03:47 pm

(1)
 (0)
7.

It is matter of shame on my part that I have know nothing about Hector and Achilles.
but one thing i can say that there was no great contest between Karan and Arjun.
In telugu language there is peom, which says that when Arjun was very much proud that
he killed Karna, sri krishan told him, it was bhudevi, me, by indra, by hisguru parasuram
all contributed to the death of Karan and is there any such comparison,,between Hector and Achilles or was it
a fair fight.
Answered by sitapati rao, 26 Sep '09 09:13 am

(1)
 (0)
8.

Oo yes..the situation is quite similar except for some minor basics..a very good comparison though..you set me thinking..ha ha..the bone of contention etc etc,,
Answered by bobo, 26 Sep '09 02:00 am

(1)
 (0)