Q.

How many of you have heard about Kati Bihu. Your sincere answers please and please do so without searching the net.

Tags: money, education, entertainment
Asked by Mitali Choudhury, 19 Oct '09 03:06 pm

1.

Mitali, I am very fond of Bihu dance.. The dress and the steps of dance and the way the whole body is shaken..this is much better than our modern bollywood dance.. it is very rythemic and difficult.. it is done on the occassion of harvesting.. This is the foremost among all the Folk dances which is my favourite..
Answered by Sharmila Bose, 19 Oct '09 04:34 pm

(2)
 (0)

2.

Kati bihu is mainly the festval of Assam region which starts on the Kartik sankrati......1.people wear clean dresses and worship to Maa Tulasi, 2, people use to light a lamp made up of clay in the crop fields( which known as Akash dweep) on the top of a bamboo.....the reason behind this is....pray to forefathers to save the crop and the insects, grasshoopers who destroy the crops are attracting towards the light and die there.....3. generally every where in the month of Kartik people use to light the lamp in the respect to the fore fathers......people use to do the Naam sankirtan .....etc......i don't know much more
Answered by pradeep mishra, 19 Oct '09 03:19 pm

(1)
 (0)
3.

I have never heard about it. What it is ?
Answered by Viraj, 19 Oct '09 03:06 pm

(2)
 (0)
4.

In Assamese it is said that Kati Bihu, Kangali, Magh Bihu, bhogali and Bahag Bihu Rangali. There are three Bihus in Assam as per harvesting . In the month of October and November, Farmers granary becomes empty and mostly poor people becomes "Kangal"( poor ) because the grains have been sown and eaten up. They do not have much grain in their stores and on this occassion only simple rituals are performed by liting up light in the evergreen field. Therefore, this festival is called Kati Bihu which is also known as Kangali Bihu.
In the Month of Magh, new harvested crops are started to beconsumed which is known as "Bhog". and this Bihu is called Bhogali Bihu.
In the month of April or Bohag , bohag bihu is celebrated and farmers have plenty of food crops in their granary and stores and money also. This is the time of great enjoyment for them and this Bihu is also known as Rangali Bihu.
Answered by ajay, 20 Oct '09 01:19 pm

(1)
 (0)
5.

I'm not sure about what 'Kati' means.As far as I know,'Bihu' is a folk dance of Assam.
Answered by shuvra dey, 19 Oct '09 11:03 pm

(1)
 (0)
6.

Have heard about Bihu In fact once a few girls came in front of our car between Barpeta and Rangia and started dancing we had to make some contribution to them
Answered by RSehgal, 19 Oct '09 05:12 pm

(1)
 (0)
7.

The obly thing i know is that this is some kind of a festival somewhere in the north east of our country
Answered by iqbal seth, 19 Oct '09 04:16 pm

(1)
 (0)
8.

You only informed about so many Bihus few days back in the message box. Honestly I have forgotten about the hisotry and can mix one with the other. But I believe that all Bihus are there for celebratio of life.
Answered by manish varma, 19 Oct '09 04:10 pm

(1)
 (0)
9.

Do illuminate me about this. Bihu I know...and it relates to the harvesting of crops...praying to the Almighty about bountiful crops next year...and celebrating it with prayers, dances and songs. Is it akin to this or different ??
Answered by prasoon, 19 Oct '09 04:04 pm

(1)
 (0)
10.

Please inform me as soon as you get answer
Answered by satish, 19 Oct '09 03:16 pm

(1)
 (0)

Q.

Sept.2009- 27. sunday-ram navmi, 28 Monday Dussehra oct.2009-02 Friday Gandhi Jayanti 08 Thursday Karva Chauth 15 Thurs..more

Answered by Pardeep kapoor