Q.

Was there Idol worship in Hinduism as per vedas ?

Asked by hhik, 09 May '09 12:52 pm

1.

N Hinduism Idol worship is not prohibited.
The idols of Rama, Sita, Lakshmana, Krishna, Venkateshwara, Ganesha, Laxmi and many innumerable idols are worshipped all over the world by Hindus.

No doubt it is prohibited in all holy books like Vedas, Upanishads, Talmudh, Bible and The Quran.
It is unfortunate that except The Holy Quran no book remains in its original form and original words.
The Holy Quran itself says that God has sent many messengers to show the right path to the humanity whenever it went astray. He has also revealed books to few of his messengers. Whenever people deviated form the Guidance sent by God and went astray and whenever people changed the books sent by God and deviated from the original script, God sent messengers to remind them the forgotten guidance and recall them back to the God's worship.
Answered by jameel ahmed, 21 Jun '10 12:01 pm

(3)
 (0)
2.

Yes,Hinduism is not a religion-but God was the goal & it was a way of life. The prayers were deep meditation & no form was the need of the hour then. Later when many attacks were done on India and conversions to other religion were encouraged, there arose a need to protect & preserve Hinduism-then it has become a religion & many temples started coming up.
Answered by MajorVLoganathan, 09 May '09 05:46 pm

(4)
 (1)
3.

According to Vedas (Rig Veda, Yajur Veda, Sam Veda Atharva Veda) Idol or Murti worship is prohibited in their religion and on the contrary, worship of one God alone is allowed.Unfortunately, the knowledge of the Vedas have been stopped to be listened during the last five thousand years, that is why, the worship of only one God is not being done.

CONCEPT OF TAUHEED (WORSHIP OF ONE GOD "ALONE") IN HINDU SCRIPTURES:
Qur'an: "Say: He is Allah, The ONE and ONLY. Allah, the Eternal, Absolute. He begets not, nor is He begotten. And there is none like unto Him." [Al-Qur'an 112:1-4]
* Hindu Scriptures: "I am the goal of life, the LORD and support of all, the inner witness, the abode of all. I am the only refuge, the ONE true friend; I am the beginning, the staying, and the end of creation; I am the womb and the eternal seed. I am heat; I give and withhold the rain. I am immortality and I am death; I am what is and what is not"[Bhagavad Gita 9:18-19]
Answered by iqbal ahmed, 09 May '09 01:43 pm

(4)
 (0)
4.

Vedas not only reject Idol Worship but also against associating parteners to ONE GOD.
Answered by fast tracker, 09 May '09 10:36 pm

(3)
 (0)
5.

Vedas' are considered the most sacred amongst all the Hindu scriptures. There are 4 main vedas. Rig Ved,Yajur Ved ,Sam Ved and Athar Ved.
Yajur Ved:- Consider the following verses from the Yajur Ved:
" Na tasya pratima asti (" There is no image of Him") [Yajurved 32:3]
" There is no image of Himwhose glory verily is great.He sustains within Himself all luminous objects like sun etc.May He not harm me, this is my prayer.As He in unborn.He deserves our worship [The Yajurved by Devi Chand M.A.pg 377]
ii) " He is bodyless and pure." Is mentioned in Yujurved 40:8 [Yajurveda samhita by Ralph I.H.Griffith pg 538]
2.Atharva ved . Consider the foowing verses fro Atharva ved:-
i) " Deev maha osi"
God is verily great" [Atharvaveda 20 58:3]
3. Rig Ved i) th oldest of all the vedas is Rig veda. It is also the one considered most sacred by Hindus.The Rig Ved states that " Sages(learned Priest) call one God by many names" [ Rigveda 1:164:46]
Answered by yusuf syed, 09 May '09 05:43 pm

(3)
 (0)
6.

I will go with answer of Brother Iqbal Ahmad , God is formelss so be it , No excuses for that .
Answered by funda, 09 May '09 02:10 pm

(3)
 (0)
7.

Yes. as per the vedic dharma god can be worshipped as a sakara saguna ( idol)form or nirguna form.
Answered by Haalayudha Dattuni, 09 May '09 02:22 pm

(2)
 (2)
8.

Hinduism is not strictly governed by any particular scripture(s). It has the freedom of many many paths. Even atheists have their place. Its central principle is adwaita which essentailly is based on ONE god (brahmum). Not only is god one, but god is all that exist. It is the puranas that made a difference. Puranas were intended to give to the common man the essence of upanishad etc in the form of stories. And noble puranic charecters were adored and worshipped as dieities. Idol worship is basically deity worship, and not god worship. And hindus dont worship idols, they only worship deity/God thru the medium of idols and deities ! Sometimes idols are even thrown away after worship !
Answered by Shunmugham, 10 May '09 09:10 am

(2)
 (1)
9.

It is prevalent even now.
Answered by Jagadeesh Khurana, 09 May '09 12:53 pm

(2)
 (1)
10.

In pure hinduism it is not there ,it is later on only,when people forget true god then worship his creations or through his creations thereby inflicting pain on them by cutting off direct link to God ,thet destroy their intellect by worshipping lesser creations like angels plants animals who are inferior to men , total devastation of intellect takes place and may god guide all
Answered by misconception, 10 May '09 12:16 am

(2)
 (0)

Q.

Koran and Bible have common books and Bible has New Testament added to it, which gives an account of Jesus's birth and death thru crucifixion which Ko..more

Answered by Jack Johnson