What are health benefits of black seeds /kalaunji ?
- Just like the other two in jeerak trai, black seeds are carminative, anthelmintic (rids worms), digestive, increase appetite and therefore can be used in anorexia, help in binding the stools in diarrhea and also relieve distension due to gas.
- Black seeds can be chewed to get rid of bad breath.
- Due to their brocho dilatory and mucolytic properties, black seeds are effectively used in cough, bronchitis and asthma.
- Black seeds pacify vaata and therefore are effectively used in vaata disorders like pain, trembling, claudications, etc.
- A decoction of the seeds is administered to relieve difficult labor and also to cleanse and tone the uterus post delivery.
- Just like the other two in its group, black seeds are effective galactogogues and are also used to relieve painful menstruation and certain other menstrual disorders.
- Its oil can be used for massaging in vaata disorders.
- Like its ...more
Chemical Composition - seeds contain 1.5% volatile oil, while 37.5% Non volatile oil. In addition to this Albumen, Sugar, Organic acids, Glucoside Melanthin Metarbin and bitter substances are also found. The Glucoside is toxic in nature, hence the use of Kalonji in large doses and prolonged use m ...more
Black seed is rich monosaccharides and non-starch polysaccharides so it makes for a great source of dietary fiber. The seed is also abundant in essential fatty and unsaturated acids and fifteen different types of amino acids. Infants may benefit from black seed because it contains arginine. The black seed is rich in carotene which is very beneficial in preventing the cancer. Besides all the aforementioned, black seed is also very rich in iron, calcium, potassium and sodium.
Black seeds are very efficient in enhancing the human immunity and they could be playing an important role in treating AIDS and cancer. A substance call ...more