Q.

As per survey conducted by the national family health( NFHS-2), 68% of married woman need the permission of their husbands/in laws to go to market, 76% to visit relatives and friends, 40% to spend any money and 20% are subjected to domestic violence. The last may be much higher as it is believed many surveyed women lie in this regard. What is your opinion about this facts?

Tags: money, relationships, health
Asked by Josna, 01 Mar '10 09:00 pm

1.

Are u sure such things are not happening in other countries. Or is it fashionable in our country to speak ill about our own country. go to any middle east country and see what is happening there. also read the reply on mr moin. such things are happening all over asia, and a few other parts of the world. but they dont publicse it.,
Answered by iqbal seth, 01 Mar '10 09:34 pm

(1)
 (0)
2.

In the US, it is no different, for Single Mom's 2 b subject to Domestic Violence.

I mean, I dunno abour the permissions thing personally, I wouldn't just book it w/o giving at least a cellphone call to my family saying "I'm going x.y.z." burt sometimes, my family may need me for something (ex: drive child 2 hospital 4 vaccine , restaurant etc) then I have to abort my plan.

That's how families work ji.

The domestic violence is a tragedy, look into inner city US u will find it shocking to see what Single Mom's go thru in terms of violence. THat is because of lack of social security.

I HATE to break this to you, but in the US, in inner city, the "Free, single thinking" MOm goes short on paying rent, and the child is crying, and landlord barges in....I can assure u the encounter isin't pretty and u can imagine what dat does 4 children !
Answered by A Moin, 01 Mar '10 09:14 pm

(1)
 (0)
3.

Its a shame on Indian society ! Shame on Indian male in particular ! We consider ourselves part of a great culture, believers in equality and democracy, modernity and what not: and we still hold that Manu smriti should be norm for man-women relationship !
Funny to see the posts of certain male chauvinists here. They are diverting attention to other topics. One man wants to compare with middle east, another to single moms in US, another on issues like false dowry cases ! LOOK, topic here is the plight of married women in INDIA, one fifth of whom are beaten up by their husbands, and society looks on !!!!!
Answered by Shunmugham, 07 Mar '10 11:22 am

(0)
 (0)
4.

I am sure you must be feeling more enlightened after reading the answers of Mr.Iqbal Seth and MrA.Moin.What you call "permission" may be just a nother name of "information" for going to the market or visiting relatives.In a cicilized and educated family it is important that every member informs/consults the other members about going to the market/visiting relatives.This is a basic ettiquette for both male and female nenbers of the household for convinience of all in the household.The same applies for making any major expenditure and applies to both males and females.As for domestic violence you have the information from Mr.Moin about other countries as well and in many cases the woman is also the hitter,There is no record for such cases.And I do hope you have come across many familiwes in which the wife files a false dowry case against the husband and the in laws and makes them suffer no end.The Indian law blindly believes the lady and tortures the reported husband and his parents ,ev ...more
Answered by HEMANT MEHTA, 01 Mar '10 09:47 pm

(0)
 (0)

Q.

Violence towards women in marriage is present in all societies irrespevtive of nations. In India this maybe more due to the following reasons for the ..more

Answered by sumita ganguly