Q.

Why BENGALIS take false pride in themselves and their culture which is predominantly not even 400yrs old ??

Tags: yrs old, culture, bengalis
Asked by sr sr sax, 22 Apr '08 05:41 pm

1.

Bihar has an unmatched rich historical and cultural standing. Remember Magadh empire, birth of Buddhism and Jainism, the Gupta dynasty, the Mauryan empire, the Patliputra, the world famous Nalanda and Vikramshila universities, or the Great Ashoka from Bihar who has been the greatest ruler in the history of India.

The decline of Bihar started when Muslim invasion under Muhammad Bin Bakhtiyar Khilji destroyed Magadh kingdom, burnt down Nalanda and Vikramshila universities, and massacred thousands of Buddhist monks in 12th century. Again Bihar rose under the rule of Sher Shah Suri ' one of the brilliant Muslim rulers, and maintained under Mughal emperor Akbar. And then, Bengal's rise was Bihar's loss.

With the decline of Mughal rulers, Bihar passed under the rule of Nawabs of Bengal. This medieval period under Nawabs of Bengal brought anonymity for Bihar. Though this was the period when Bihar produced the last Sikh Guru ' Guru Gobind Singh ' one of the greatest sons of India.

Answered by Kumar Rahul, 24 Oct '10 12:48 pm

(1)
 (0)
2.

Are you asking a question or giving your opinion?

If latter, read no further.

If former, then know that Bengalis are one of the most friendly, loving, educated and cultured people on earth. Culture is not measured by age - it is about quality. With luminaries like Tagore, Saratchandra, Bankimchandra, Jumpa Lahiri, Amitava Ghosh, Bimal Roy, Ravi Shankar, Kishore Kumar, Uttam Kumar, Ritwik Ghatak, RD Burman, Kumar Shanu, Shaan, Shreya Ghoshal, Suchitra Sen, Sushmita Sen, Rani Mukherjee, Bipaha basu, Satyajit Ray, Hrishikesh Mukherjee Vivekananda, Ramkrisha, Shri Chaitanya (ok now I am getting tired) - it is no wonder Bengalis take pride in their culture.
Answered by zinga, 13 Dec '09 11:03 am

(1)
 (1)
3.

I don't think so. But there is no harm in having pride about our ancient culture in fact that is the best way of keeping our old tradition alive.
I find most of the bengalis though thee love old tradition but still mofern in their outlook and good to move with outsiders.
They are nice people to move with
Answered by saranathan Narasimhan, 23 Apr '08 12:17 am

(1)
 (1)
4.

How do "Bengalis" take "false pride" in "their culture"????? ?? ? ????? ?

In Bengal, I see girls with T-shirts, jeans, and some in Burkas & Chudidars. And I see the villagers sport their dhotis & sarees trying their best to pay the bills against the daily backdrop of maddening price rises. I see the same in Tamil Nadu or Karnatak.

In Bengal, I see men crowding near chai shops, smoking beedis, and doing small talk. I see the same all over India.

But seriously, if you are talking about "Bengalis" as a population, I would say they are at least more socially concious than the average Indian. Only Kerala and Bengal so far, in modern India- have chosen or at least try and stick to- a government and a system which is compatible w/ the Indian demography.

Answered by A Moin, 22 Apr '08 07:29 pm

(1)
 (1)
5.

Wi9th knoledge about begalis, you may get a noble prize.
title your book," discovery of bengal"
you have also forgot what great son of maharashtra gokhale once said, -------"what bengal things today, india thinks tomorrow.
Answered by HARIJIBAN BANERJEE, 22 Apr '08 05:48 pm

(1)
 (1)
6.

I do not agree with you. Every one has a right to pide on his culture. If you dont feel pride for your culture it is your problem. Why r u blaming Bengalis for this.
Answered by pintu, 22 Apr '08 05:45 pm

(1)
 (1)
7.

They are their own culture lovers
Answered by madhusudan, 22 Apr '08 05:43 pm

(1)
 (1)
8.

I love bengali culture.
Answered by jawed mukhtar, 22 Apr '08 05:43 pm

(1)
 (1)
9.

It is difficult to refute or agree simply because our history is not properly recorded.
From the fragments of history, I can bring forward some historical evidences that goes to prove the antiquity of Bengali culture. The oldest Bengali intellectual that I know of is Shilbhadra, who was a Vice Chanceller in Nalanda University. Next great Bengali was a preacher called Atish Dipankar, who went to Tibet to preach Buddhism. All these happened about 2000 years back. Such personalities could not have taken birth unless there was a high level of existing culture. Then came the great age of Bengal around 8th century AD, when Sen dynasty ruled Bengal which was commonly known as Gour. In 12th century AD, Bengal saw another great epoch under the Pal dynasty, when places like Nabadwip, Bishnupur becam great centers of art, culture, music and so on. Chaitanya brought in another type of wave around 500 years back. Up to the time of Pal dynasty, Bengal was predominantly Buddhist. Sens tried to reviv ...more
Answered by Sankar Mitra, 22 Apr '08 08:10 pm

(1)
 (0)
10.

My dear friend I understand your feelings for Bihar. But I think u have very small knowledge about culture. I think u don't have heared about Rabindranath Tagore or Satayajit Ray or Mother Teressa or Amartya Sen and about bengali culture it is one of most vibrant and colourfull . At least Bengal is one place where people from all over the world can stay peacefully. The Bengalies alaways accept all other's culture and that is our pride for our culture.
Answered by angs dal, 05 Nov '10 06:23 pm

(0)
 (0)

Q.

Marriage does not bring maturity by any means. Don't you think AB Vajpayee, APJ Abdul Kalam, Lata Mangeshkar, Sri Sri Ravi Shankar, Mamata Banerjee, U..more

Answered by Lucky