Q.

Sthree na swathandrayam arhati - Manusmriti
[ Women are not entitled to freedom]. We indians still follow MANU and still claim of having a great culture. Any say?

Tags: relationships, women, manu
Asked by Shunmugham, 29 Dec '12 01:15 pm

1.

Educations begins in our homes. Young boys should be taught to respect elders and show special respect to women. This should be followed in the schools. I feel that schools should restart teaching Moral Science as a subject again. When I was young Social studies included Moral Science, History and Geography.
In our country when people pay respect to deities like Saraswathi, Laxmi and so on, respect should have been naturally attracted more respect.
When I was younger, men used to get to get up from the seat and offer the seat to women in public buses. I can no longer see this gesture of present day men.
We need to do it again. That small gesture shows lot of respect to our women.
Answered by Francisco, 29 Dec '12 01:32 pm

(1)
 (0)
2.

Manusmriti was created to favour Brahmin people to dominate the non-brahmins. Even on the punishments of r*pists it is not on general terms for all women; but it describes how cruelly a r*pist against brahmin-women should be punished. When their jobs got done like capturing the temple-priesthood ,jagatguru, acharya ,punditji etc., etc., titles then the manusmriti was made unavailable to the hands of laymen.
So now you can understand why Brahmin-group here is defending the worst-book instead of being onto the matter and discuss the line you have quoted in your qn. ! ! ! !
Answered by Brummendra Dasar, 29 Dec '12 05:23 pm

(1)
 (0)
3.

Do u mean to say Manu was not a cultured person
Answered by iqbal seth, 29 Dec '12 04:05 pm

(1)
 (0)
4.

Sir Please check or go through the verses 54 to 61 in Chapter Three From Manusmriti ,These verses are specially dedicated to Woman and Womanhood . one example clearly depicts the Real Status of Woman :
" Yatra Narastu Pujyantey Ramante Tatra devtah
Yatretaastu n Pujyantey SarwastraTrafalla Kriya "....... Chapter three verse 56 Manusmriti
The deities smile on the family where the Females are honored (held in respect);fruitless are the acts (in the family)where they are Dishounred .
Most of the Rites are incomplete without the Woman .
Answered by kartikay sharma, 29 Dec '12 01:55 pm

(1)
 (0)
5.

Manusmriti - I have never come across any book by this name nor have I found it in any Indian household. I have asked elders about it but none had heard of it before. It seems that it might be some ancient and obsolete text which has been dug up by some caste leaders to be used as a stick to beat the traditional Indian religions. No one really knows how much (of what is often quoted from this book) is really authentic.
Having said this, I would agree with you that we do have a pathetic culture regarding our attitude towards women. It is also true that much of the cultural attitudes of a society stem from their ancient texts and mythologies.
For example the Greek god Zeus kidnapped a boy (Ganymede), violated his derriere and kept him as a pleasure slave. Thus he gave a religious sanction to same-gender orientation. This culture is found deep roots in the western civilization and the innocent choir boys in various churches have to still bear the brunt of it
Answered by Vikram, 29 Dec '12 01:46 pm

(1)
 (0)
6.

The meaning of this hyme is wrongly presented by few of us without understanding to the philosophy ........ wowen are the assets to the society , so proper care should be taken by the respective owner ......... I am asking a Qn, are you keeping your golds in the safe place or not? ..... defenitely the answer should be yes , whenever a woman goes out they need to inform to their HUSBAN/Parents/ brothers atleast so that they can make the proper arrangement for their safety ........ you tell me how many girls are informing to their elders when they go with their boy friend for lunch/dinner or to movie ....... if they will inform then no body will say yes to go with her BF, it is for sure ........ as a father of a daughter , I will not give her the permission, if I will say no to her due to any reason, did I interfare in her freedom , do you mean in this way ......... if she will go out without my knowledge and anything happens then who will be blamed , defenitely the parents ........ eve ...more
Answered by pradeep mishra, 29 Dec '12 01:31 pm

(1)
 (0)
7.

Yes ! I have a say....What this male chauvinist society 've awarded the entire women folk by granting them the pseudo freedom....R*A*P*E....Molestation, domestic violence, physical torture,...which is still now happening in the nations wherein MANUSMRITI is just an ALIEN TERM....There are many a teachings in MANUSMRITI which is yet relevant to this Indian Society....Granting of freedom to Women in ancient Indian Society was relevant as per the then social condition....and society must tend to change....so just tell me how many ppl are abide by MANUSMRITI in the present Indian Society....so why R U constantly attacking the teachings opf MANUSMRITI quoting this particular line...??? still will U say that U R not communal...???
Answered by Pradipta pati, 29 Dec '12 01:29 pm

(1)
 (0)
8.

In ancient india women had lots of freedom.Women have written hymns in vedas,women were respected in india as maa durga,lakshmi,sarasswati and so many local deities who have female forms.
well change started thousand years back when outsiders invaded india and brought their culture and since british rule we are foillowing victorian values.
Now indian are taking up american values ,Indian are taking all the values from outside but not exploring ancient indian values where women were respected.Manusmiriti is not the ultimate book to follow.
Had our ancestors done that then women in ancient india never had so much of freedom.
Answered by nihal singh, 29 Dec '12 01:23 pm

(1)
 (0)