Q.

How many of you remember 'Emergency' imposed by Late Smt. Indira Gandhi ? Was that period good for the country ?

Asked by kishore malhotra, 02 Dec '09 08:16 pm

1.

The Indian Emergency of 25 June 1975 21 March 1977 for a total 21-month period, was one of the most controversial periods in the history of independent India.

Opponents had alleged that Congress, had practiced electoral fraud to win the 1971 elections. Jaya Prakash Narayan had been agitating in Bihar for a change in provincial government, and increasingly sought to direct popular action against the Central Government through satyagrahas.
Narayan and his supporters sought to unify students, peasants, and labour organisations in a 'Total Revolution' to nonviolently transform Indian society. Congress was defeated in Gujarat by a coalition of parties calling itself the Janata Party (People's Party), and even faced an all-party, no-confidence motion in Parliament.

Answered by Jack Johnson, 02 Dec '09 09:36 pm

(1)
 (0)
2.

Don't you realize that the Nehru Family CHEATED THE COUNTRY by the way of Transfer of Power by the Imperiasitic Governance of British.. and earlier it was on the British Domain.. and Now It is in the Domain of Nehru Family and at present SONIA GANDHI... Do you still feel INDIA IS FREE AND DEMOCRATIC COUNTRY... The Price Rise, Terrorism, DRAIN OF WEALTH IN SWISS BANK and Invasion of MNC in the Indian Industry is not INVASION ON THE SOVERIGNTY OF INDIA 'S SOUL..

Why no other POLITICAL PARTIES CUD SUSTAIN IN THE POLITICS as Gandhi Family.. Why Narsimha Rao or MMS are never HIGHLIGHTED AS THE GANDHI PMs like Nehru or Indira Gandhi or Rahul Gandhi...

HV U ALL BECOME BLIND AND INSANE.... CAN'T U REALIZE THIS THAT HOW THE PEOPLE OF INDIA IS MADE FOOLS .....
Answered by Sharmila Bose, 03 Dec '09 11:13 am

(0)
 (0)
3.

I was young then.. just out of college...I remember those days.. my father had told me not to open my mouth anywhere and discuss politics./. Stick to safe topics like the weather , food and movies ..he would say.
Answered by joyoti sen, 02 Dec '09 08:32 pm

(0)
 (0)
4.

The emergency was actually the only time India had a reasonably efficient and corruption free administration.Indira was the only leader, who transformed dreams into reality, like the goal of socialistic pattern of society, abolishing privy purses,nationalising banks, making India a space and nuclear power.She made every Indian proud when she stood up to the challenges she faced and the international pressures and internal disharmony she has to handle . Yes, I liked that because by will and determination ,we can make Sea Changes .
Answered by venkatesaldevarajan, 03 Dec '09 12:37 pm

(1)
 (0)
5.

No & Never. Misuse of power and money and sufferring of general people were the outcome of those days. Those days are consided as the "Black days" in Indian History. Might be, Mrs. Gandhi tried to adopt it in good sense but she overlooked the affect of it which were mostly enjoyed by her the then flatterers. Young lads were forcively undertaken for vescatmey operations, misuse of the Act of MISA were usual features. No, no Kishore, I was a young boy at that time and was deeply involved in the leftist movement in Bengal and have seen this closely. We had to fleed away from here to there. I want to forget those days.
Answered by ashis, 03 Dec '09 12:03 pm

(1)
 (0)
6.

I was not born that time
Answered by MOHIT MATHUR, 03 Dec '09 11:44 am

(1)
 (0)
7.

Yes I remember that peroid, Just then I joined my work in a company. My God what a discipline I could see in Chennai that time, All the political leaders were arrested, Buses were plying on time, etc etc, Govt Offices like EB, telephones, etc were functioning immaculately ...

HHHmm I wish that time to come back
Answered by Sundar Rajan, 02 Dec '09 10:51 pm

(1)
 (0)
8.

Yes,we thought it was a good step then
only to know so many excesses later on
Answered by anil garg, 02 Dec '09 09:57 pm

(1)
 (0)
9.

Very bad time. i and we suffered. it was misused by all govt officials to harass their sub ordinates. police crossed ther CONCIOUS.
Answered by sharad sharad, 02 Dec '09 09:04 pm

(1)
 (0)
10.

Emergency is never good for any country.
Answered by Tushar Kher, 02 Dec '09 08:25 pm

(1)
 (0)