Q.

These are the words Caesar uttered in the play Shakespear's 'Julius Caesar'
"Let me have men about me that are fat,
Sleek-headed men and such as sleep a-nights.
Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look,
He thinks too much; such men are dangerous."

Do looks really matter?

Asked by gem mina, 18 Mar '09 12:00 pm

1.

Caesar's description of Cassius is clearly disapproving, and at once shows the reader that he will be a source of conflict: "Let me have men about me that are fat, Sleek-headed men, and such as sleep a-nights. Yon Cassius has a lean and hungry look. He thinks too much. Such men are dangerous Caesar continues, Cassius reads much, He is a great observer, and he looks Quite through the deeds of men. He loves no plays, as thou dost, Antony; he hears no music. Generally, Shakespearean characters that do not enjoy music or plays are inherently evil. Caesar fears Cassius because he does not enjoy life, whereas he trusts Antony who is almost famous for his ability to have a good time.
Answered by joyesh chakraborty, 21 Mar '09 02:26 pm

(0)
 (1)
2.

The first part on the words of Julius Ceasar in the play. Not that I remember a word of Shakespeare's plays that we had to study in school. But I have always been a keen follower of Roman history and do go over it whenever time permits. From whatever little I have been able to glean from that, let me answer. Shakespeare wrote those, being fully aware of the relationship between Cassius and Caesar. Cassius despised Caesar for the power and adulation that Romans gave him for his conquests. Envy is something that cannot be rubbed off from the face and to Ceasar it was crystal clear. That lean and hungry look was synomyous with the rooted pain / hatred that was swelling inside him. And when you are in such a condition, obviously one is always drawn to 'deep thinking' process inside to find a way to take it out.

Answered by Omega, 20 Mar '09 07:24 pm

(0)
 (0)
3.

At least I decide with looks whether the person is likable or not. The looks reflect inner personality of the person.
Answered by Jack Johnson, 20 Mar '09 09:27 am

(0)
 (0)
4.

Don't you feel tired of this cliches? What purpose is served by picking up the quote out of context? If men bashing is the purpose, do it, but Julius Caesar need not be drawn in this kind hackneyed subject. "Hungry looks" "dangerous men" what are this? Many more quotes can be produced from George Bernard Shaw to current day writers whom the feminists will accuse of gender bias.More than the question, the purpose appears to somewhat different. The quotation is absolutely superfluous. Yes looks matter, when somebody has to be assessed or his intentions are to be guessed. It is very important for the women, detectives and businessmen to read the looks. Without reading Shakespeare, this can be easily said. For others, it is capacity to read the looks is an useful asset.
Answered by soumyen sarkar, 19 Mar '09 06:48 am

(0)
 (0)
5.

Looks DO matter not in terms of size, shape or colur but in terms of FACIAL EXPRESSION......those with lips curving down in a permanent frown or critical eyes or with a constantly disgruntled expression are better avoided. I get automatically drawn to those with laughing eyes (with crow's feet), a full-mouthed smile and a pleasant, approachable expression. In THAT sense looks DO matter and the BEST part is that WE can decide HOW we want to look and work towards achieving that
Answered by Lion Heart, 18 Mar '09 12:13 pm

(0)
 (0)

Q.

He here was Yond CassiusAccording to Shakespeare "YOND CASSIUS HAS A LEAN AND HUNGARY LOOK, "HE THINKS TOO MUCH, SUCH MEN ARE DANGEROUS"..more

Answered by A. More