Q.

INDIA : Chambal river in UP is labeled unholy by the priestly class,as the Legend in the area says,it was born of the blood of cows,sacrificed by a King,striving for absolute power.Due to near absence of holy shrines and industrial units...it is the cleanest river in North India,and is the habitat of rare fauna.
Unlike Ganges,which due to its status as the Holiest river,is alarmingly polluted,with the threatened fauna and multiple complexities.
Do we ,in the name of beliefs,damage what we seem to be revering since ages?

Tags: travel, india, north
Asked by shintsie, 22 Mar '10 10:45 pm
Answer this question  Earn 10 points for answering     Map Successfully AddedAdd Map

1.

The ancient name of Chambal River was Charmanvati, meaning the river on whose banks leather is dried. In the ancient times, large scale Yagya (prayer meetings in which also involve offerings to please God) used to be organized on the banks of this river and in these Yagyas animals were slaughtered and offered. According to Mahabharata, the color of river water would become red due to the flow of blood of the sacrificed animals and the skins of these animals were dried on the banks of the rivers. In due course of time, this river became famous as the river of chamda (skin) and was named as Charmanvati. As sacrifice of animals was a custom in those days, there any not be any truth that the river is unholy. Even great rishis like Agathiya ate meat in older days.
However you are also right that we are polluting great rivers in the name of rituals and Industrial wastes etc.This is happening to all major rivers in India, whether it is Ganges, Godawari, Krishna or Cauvery.
Answered by Josna, 23 Mar '10 09:38 am

(3)
 (0)
2.

Yes it looks like it.. We don't know how to take care of our treasures. of all the species in the world the human is the most vile .therefore wherever he goes he leaves a trail of destruction and devastation behind. You'll notice that only those places are pure, clean and pristine that are free of human habitation.
Answered by joyoti sen, 22 Mar '10 11:04 pm

(2)
 (0)
3.

If only many of Indias rivers were labelled so would they be untouched by mankinds mismongering. Just another of Indias paradoxies
Answered by Saj Sierra, 27 Mar '10 09:47 am

(1)
 (0)
4.

Shintz, some of our holy rivers are no better than gutters. I go there in full faith and come back terribly disappointed. I think, it is useless to depend on Government to do everything in this respects. Public need to be educated. There is so much ignorance, so much blind beliefs in the name of religion. Our NGOs should come forward and do something on war footing. BTW, I will appreciate the very very good work done by Ex. Governor of J&K Shri Jagmohan around vaishno Devi Shrine. I hope others will emulate him
Answered by kishore malhotra, 23 Mar '10 10:54 am

(2)
 (0)
5.

Sacrificing caws and making river out of this is totaly redicules.Of course we ourselves and the govt.are responsible for the polution of rivers.
Answered by satish kushwaha, 23 Mar '10 02:22 am

(2)
 (0)
6.

The Ganges is one of the dirties rivers in the world and so polluted that I wonder how anything can survive in it. And who is responsible? Mankind. Isn't it paradoxical - he revers it and causes untold damage also.
Answered by nargis bhambi, 23 Mar '10 12:26 am

(2)
 (0)
7.

Actual culprit is the industrial effluents and untreated sewage which has been going in to this river. And religion has nothing to do with it. In our country pollution has been given serious thought only now. Otherwise everybody was happily putting everuthing in the river. Then our legislations are very week and the law enforcing authorities unwilling to take action for the reasons everbody knows. Greed has become more powerful than duty towards society. So we have landed up in this mess.
Answered by Prashant, 23 Mar '10 12:24 am

(2)
 (0)
8.

You are absolutely correct.Many a time we have blind beliefs which are created by the priests and holy men , who have long been taking the advantage of the innocent public for their personal gains and livelyhood.Though another reason I probably see for tha abandonment of Chambal is that Chambal valley near it used to be the abode of dacoits like Mansingh & Putlibai and many others.The terror and havoc created by them must have also kept the public at bay from Chambal river.
Answered by HEMANT MEHTA, 22 Mar '10 11:22 pm

(2)
 (0)
9.

True...it is the devotion that make people run behind anything that is in some or other way declared sacred...Be it a river or a swamy... I have taken many dips in Ganges as well as the Chambal...right in the place where once Lady Phoolan had her empire...I didn't find any difference as far as the soul is considered...however we have to think twice if we are planning to take a dip in Ganges in Kanpur...otherwise Hardwar, Rishikesh, Prayag...all have comparetively cleaner Ganges...
Ab paap dhul jaane ka itna aakarshan to hai hi...dekh lo....kitne paapi hain is duniya me...
Answered by sanjay sharma, 24 Mar '10 10:54 pm

(1)
 (0)
10.

Yes, we always did damage to mother nature thoughtlessly and we are still doing it, more thoughtlessly. I remember watching James Cameron's Avatar last month. I don't know if you've seen it or not, but I want to write few words about a scene in the movie. When the Avatar of Jake was following Neytiri, the daughter of the Naavi after being saved by her from some mighty creatures, he was touching the jungle creatures here and there. I loved the expression on the face of Neytiri and the way she tells Jake, how ignorant and child-like he is for disturbing the creatures. That was the whole thing. This single dialogue was enough to showcase the evils of we, Humans! The movie made me think about the time when first human happened on the earth. What it would have been like? Lush green jungles, all sort of flora and fauna, and the most interesting thing, all must have been connected to mother nature. But we destroyed it, like we destroyed the planet Pandora in the movie. And yet, we are not rel ...more
Answered by prashant sharma, 24 Mar '10 09:25 pm

(1)
 (0)

Q.

Jee nahin..more

Answered by iqbal seth