Q.

HABITS : "To cease smoking is the easiest thing. I ought to know. I've done it a thousand times." MARK TWAIN. Why are some habits so hard to break? Do you have any such habit?

Tags: relationships, health, education
Asked by shintsie, 03 Feb '10 07:47 pm

1.

Because habits die hard. It is easier to have a habit but almost impossible to break it. I am strong in mind. I always ask myself is this habit fruitful to me, to people surrounding me or else for anybody before doing a new thing. This I am practicing for almost 20 years and believe me I have no habits worth mentioning. I never drank alcohol,coffee,tea in my life time. I have never purchased lottery ticket or gone to race.But my husband tried,trying and will try to get rid of smoking, drinking alcohol and coffee. I have never came across a person ,unless otherwise thretened by a doctor's advice to have stopped smoking or liquor . If you ask me if I have some other habits which are not connected to any vices, then I always ask a person whom I met for the first time as to his ambition and whether he/she succeeded in getting it. Even though I tried really hard I am unable to stop this.
Answered by Josna, 04 Feb '10 03:40 pm

(1)
 (0)

2.

No. I have been very successful in motivating and stopping people from smoking. Will power is the one WAY to stop smoking. Stop it now or never.
Answered by Sridhar, 03 Feb '10 08:00 pm

(1)
 (1)
3.

It is said that old habits die hard.It is also said that a leopard never changes its spots. And people find it difficult to wean away from such old habits. And if the will is strong and if he/she has the love and support of his/her near and dear ones he/she may get rid of a bad habit.

I did have a habit of biting my nails in my childhood but I gave it up in my teenage years and now I can never imagine that I had such a habit.
Answered by Mitali Choudhury, 04 Feb '10 01:50 pm

(1)
 (2)
4.

Habit die hard. It is said of the famous cine producer of yester years , Mr S.S.Vasan that after he minted money in races to produce films, he stopped going to races .These are all men of will and they are far and few. Even chewing of tobocco, smoking are not possible for the majority who are addicted to that habit. Every body has some habits and I do have some. I can not live without taking coffee atleast 5 -6 times a day.
Answered by Rajni, 04 Feb '10 01:26 pm

(1)
 (0)
5.

We are all creatures of habit and I am no exception to it, as I have the sole habit of biting nail. Your habits affect who you are. We first make our habits, and then our habits make or break us. Change your habits, and you change your life. Habit is like a cable. We weave a strand of it every day, until it is extremely difficult to break. In the end, our habits become either the best of servants or the worst of masters. A habit is defined as an involuntary pattern of behavior or practice, usually acquired by frequent repetition. Not all habits are wrong or undesirable. In fact, most habits are good. We dress in the morning, tie our shoes, and write our names, not out of focused concentration, but through the ease of habit. Some habits, however, are annoying and undesirable, even downright self-destructive, ranging from nervous mannerisms and certain speech aberrations to smoking and overeating. If you have an undesirable habit you'd like to break, don't despair. You can put an end to ...more
Answered by Dil Se, 03 Feb '10 11:27 pm

(1)
 (0)
6.

Human beings are habituated to many things. And they leave or switch over also. A habit becomes an inihibition and gets attached with us. There are many who have shown that they can come out of such habits permanently. The particular individual is mainly responsible for taking it or leaving it.
In an earlier answer to a question long back I have converyed, if you remember, ...how my friend during Pak war missed the last train at Jammu and smoked one packet Panama at a stretch..20 cigarettes... Thereafter he did not touch cigrattes...
Answered by sankaran subbiah, 03 Feb '10 10:37 pm

(1)
 (0)
7.

You may laugh shintsie, but I have no " bad " habits. Neither I smoke, nor I take drinks. No gutkha, no paan. How it is possible, some of my friends ask. ( Not that I cannot give company in a party, but those are exceptional moments.) For that I have no answer. I do not claim to be ideal, but I never enjoyed smoking, or drinks or gutkha.. How can I tell, how to break these habits ? I think breaking habits require tremendous will power.. But yes, I have one bad habit....." shayri" is my bad habit. Should I stop it ?
Answered by subhash, 03 Feb '10 09:30 pm

(1)
 (0)
8.

Mark Twain could get away with the most outrageous sayings,
and keep you in splits.
Answered by mohanbirsingh ghura, 03 Feb '10 08:42 pm

(1)
 (0)
9.

'I have no bad habit, except that I lie' !!! Well, on a serious note, the day I read a very powerful book on positive human emotions and self development, I was transformed from a weak and meek person to what I am today. I found that the ABC of the self development starts with healthy mind and fit body. I read about strong will power and determination and accordingly changed my lifestyle. And I became a fitness freak. Now it is nothing but what the Doctor ordered.
Answered by kishore malhotra, 03 Feb '10 08:30 pm

(1)
 (0)
10.

Its due to addiction i have got no such addictions which are hard to break
Answered by sreekumar, 03 Feb '10 07:55 pm

(1)
 (0)

Q.

My answer is mostly similiar to A Moin's answer with a few additional points.The Pakistan minister has said this because he wants to gather support by..more

Answered by RAJAN MHAMAI