Q.

Do you think familiarity with a person breeds contempt as the old English saying goes?

Tags: relationships, careers, health
Asked by Latimeria, 20 Feb '10 11:31 am

1.

Familiarity, as long as it remains within the bounds of close and warm friendship between two persons is good. It would be bad if the friendship turns casual relationship or into an undue intimacy. If two persons in closer and warm friendship begin to back slap each other all too often then such a friendship in the end turns sour. They begin to take each other for granted. They begin to lose mutual respect for each other. Too much personal knowledge and information about the person you call your friend too is not good. Familiarity breed contempt is very true. Mutual respect in friendship and even in marriage where two become intimate by virtue of being married is very important. I always wonder should a man knock and seek permission to enter into his wife's bedroom. If he doesn't then is it familiarity? Would it eventually lead to contempt?
Answered by Jack Johnson, 21 Feb '10 07:39 am

(1)
 (0)
2.

Since I would answer with what experience I hold...I disagree.
Familiarity is a positive development in any given relationship...it helps things get smoother,understanding reach the next level and the chances to read either too much,or too little in the words,deeds or actions are minimal.
Contempt breeds,where communication is less, and expectations mounting and unreasoanble...familiarity just won't cause these two. Cause If I know someone well,I would know exactly how the other person is,what his/her circumstances are and how that person is either receptive or unresponsive,under whichever circumstances.
One complicates things with overusage of the mind and apprehensive analysis...if one deals things with simplicity and receptive outlook, comtempt is the last aspect to breed.
Answered by shintsie, 20 Feb '10 12:06 pm

(3)
 (3)
3.

As far as my thinking goes familiarity never breeds contempt for me with regard to people I hold close to my heart. I never tire of being near them all the time. I miss those dear ones when they are far away and my thoughts are always full of them. If familiarity does breed contempt then there is something wrong in the relationship.
Answered by Mitali Choudhury, 20 Feb '10 04:21 pm

(2)
 (1)
4.

No ! only if 1 would know someone well, 1 would know the nature of the other person ,what his/her approaches are and how that person is either responsive or unresponsive,his/her expectations, mindset, dominating or moderate nature and treat/behave accordingly then there would be no contempts.Too much of everything is good for nothing.
Answered by Pradipta pati, 20 Feb '10 03:07 pm

(1)
 (0)
5.

No chance of whatsoever kind of contempt. There is absolutely no need to believe in too much way, or literal meaning of those proverbs, quotes or saying of so called Old English as large portion of that treasure had been based on the atmosphere prevalent at the time when Old English (or let us say Monarch type environment) was very much in vogue. Like in Elizabethan period, people were status and class conscious and were hardly believe in the principle of mixing with subordinates and ordinary kind folk. Most of them had a definite circle of their own, and still they didn`t wish to increase familiarity with a person or persons for the fear of getting very close followed either by too much attachment or excess amount of contempt. But in this modern globalizing era, we ardently believe in the magic of mass communication, benefits of growing public relationship, coming close day by day with the advent of internet and highly speedy means of crossing all the barriers in travel, no fear or ke ...more
Answered by Indra Pawar, 20 Feb '10 01:50 pm

(1)
 (0)
6.

Not always. But too much familiarity some times breed contempt because of jealousy, rivalry, extrapolation of relations or other related factors .
Answered by soumyen sarkar, 20 Feb '10 11:51 am

(1)
 (0)
7.

Familiarity breeds contempt and children too as MARK TWINE said .
Answered by venkatesaldevarajan, 20 Feb '10 11:42 am

(1)
 (0)
8.

Yeah. That is right.
Answered by Tony Fernandez, 20 Feb '10 11:41 am

(1)
 (0)

Q.

The parents are matured, whereas, the children are just keeping feet in the era of adultness and at those moments, they see only attraction mostly phy..more

Answered by chhinder pal