The Institute of nuclear physics at calcutta was founded and directed by ?
Palit Research Laboratory used to be a laboratory under the Department of Physics in University of Calcutta. Megh Nad Saha became the Palit professor of Physics in 1938. Realising the ensuing importance of the Nuclear Physics, he reorganised the curriculum to include Nuclear Physics and commissioned some necessary instruments. Soon the necessity of a small-scale cyclotron was felt. Thanks to the help of Nehru and patronage of Tata, the foundation stone was of the Institute of Nuclear Physics was laid in Acharya Prafulla Chandra Road , Calcutta on 1949. The building was inaugurated in 1950 by Irene Joliot-Curie. The Institute shifted to its new building in Bidhannagar in the late eighties.
Dr Syamaprasad Mookerjee the Institute of Nuclear Physics was founded. The year is 1949. When the building was formally inaugurated by Madame Irene Joliot-Curie on 11 January 1950, a date now accepted as the Foundation Day, the Institute was fully functional.