Q.

Those of you who enjoyed 'My Fair Lady'
a remake is on its way with Keira Knightley playing the role of Eliza Doolittle and Daniel Day Lewis playing the role of Henry Higgins.
Q) a) Was a remake necessary?
b) Could the performance of the above actors eclipse the performance of Audrey Hepburn and Rex Harrison?

Asked by joyoti sen, 09 Jun '08 11:13 pm

1.

Lets keep an open mind about this. My Fair Lady was filmed 44 years ago - it doesn't seem that long ago but it is. Cinematography has changed so much in those years - the sound and colour of today knocks spots off that of yesteryears.
I don't consider a remake as being a replacement for the original - instead a new version may encourage todays generation to watch this new film and enjoy the story when in fact the original version would not appeal to them. No, the performance of the new actors will not eclipse that of Hepburn and Harrison nor do I think that is the intention - they should be viewed separately and not compared.
There have been remakes in the past which have the effect of rejuvenating the tale and reaching a wider audience. Like you I am a great fan of Audrey Hepburn and her cooky gamine look - but let us reserve our judgement until the release.
Answered by Janis, 10 Jun '08 12:44 am

(1)
 (0)
2.

Let us not forget that the film had won eight academy awards at that time. Let us see if they are now able to preserve the magic and present it in an authentic and exciting way to the present day audiences. It is a challenge they must meet. I am sure none can eclipse the performance of Audrey Hepburn and Rex Harrison.
Answered by Jack Johnson, 10 Jun '08 01:08 am

(1)
 (0)
3.

A) No

b) No

Actually I cannot imagine today's cinema audience getting excited by this movie - I predict a flop in cinema; perhaps a success as a DVD as a suitable prezzie for female friends!
Answered by Shahryar Pax, 10 Jun '08 12:22 am

(1)
 (0)
4.

1. It's OK with Remakes. I am confortable with it.
2. One should view the previouswork and current work separately and not be possessive about the one.
3. After all, how do you view "Ramayan" (Tulsidas) and "Ramcharitmanas" (Valmiki) - It's OK.
Answered by manish varma, 10 Jun '08 08:59 am

(1)
 (0)
5.

This is just my conjecture but I feel that the older version might not be having any takers now and so from the commercial point of view and to feed the taste of the present generation this might have become necessary. To the present generation Rex Harrison and Audrey Hepburn are strangers and it is quite possible these new actors may even surprise us!!
Answered by gem mina, 10 Jun '08 05:59 am

(1)
 (0)
6.

A remake of My Fair Lady is not necessary at all though it has become a fashion - all these remakes. how could one capture the essence of those days? daniel day lewis for all his acting prowess could never match rex harrison as henry higgins. keira would be a disaster as elisa. the remake no doubt will be on a grand scale but for me it's a no-no. i do not know who'll be singing in the new version and though there are many opera singers around, julie andrews voice matched so well with audrey hepburn's character.
Answered by nargis bhambi, 10 Jun '08 12:38 am

(1)
 (0)
7.

A) Was a remake necessary?

maybe...in todays world of technicolor manifestations of the english language its absolutely necessary. well for one...to make ppl understand that love needs no language to make itself understood and least of of all so called class or style among ppl in society.

no one can...these ppl hav outdone themselves in the movie and they r icons to the next generation of actors. so how can new faces like keira knightly eclipse audrey hepburn....its beyond comparison only.:))
Answered by sumita ganguly, 09 Jun '08 11:29 pm

(1)
 (0)
8.

No to both a and b
Answered by uttar, 15 Sep 12:01 pm

(0)
 (0)
9.

Yes:yes. sweety
Answered by sangeetha, 09 Jun '08 11:15 pm

(0)
 (0)

Q.

Environment Movies: Best of the BestA Civil Action (1999), John Travolta plays the lead as a civil ligation lawyer and his decade long case against an..more

Answered by vedula rs