Q.

Indian woman,as projected by Raja Ravi Verma in his paintings,is one of the most complete projections...where she celeberates womanhood and her own self,talent and persona included,brilliantly.Can you cite a similar example of complete depiction,through a creative medium?

Tags: relationships, education, ravi
Asked by shintsie, 06 Sep '09 10:07 pm

1.

Shintsieji ! I have always expressed my awe for your BA %. Which are the BEST,your questions or answers,I WONDER!! I would like to describe Goddess Sita,as the epitome of Womanhood.Goddess Sita forever remains the paragon of Virtue.When Lord Rama was preparing to go into exile alone,she addresses him thus: "O son of an illustrious monarch, a father, a mother, a brother, a son or a daughter-in-law, all enjoy the fruit of their merits and receive what is their due. It is only the wife who actually shares the fortunes of her husband. When you depart this day for the dense forests which are difficult to penetrate, I shall walk ahead of you crushing under my feet, all the thorns that lie on your way." Valmiki's Ramayana describes her feelings when Ravana made his overtures,"She seemed like a flame wreathed in smoke; a great fame which had dimmed; a lotus pool stripped of its blossoms; like Rohini pursued by Ketu (a metaphor for the eclipsed moon); a traditional text obscured by a dubious in ...more
Answered by inquisitive, 06 Sep '09 10:52 pm

(3)
 (0)
2.

His paintings are grandiose and femininity to the epoch. Wonderful works of art indeed was his.

------ Tune into http://cheersmatey.blogspot.com/ ---------
Answered by Saj Sierra, 15 Sep '09 04:19 am

(0)
 (0)

3.

Raja Ravi Varma was the first Indian to master perspective, the first to use human models to depict Hindu gods and goddesses, the first to make his work available not just to the rich but to ordinary people too. The immense popularity of his work also made this deeply pious aristocrat the first Indian artist to become well known before him painters were largely anonymous.
Raja Ravi Varma was born in 1848 into the royal house of Kilimanoor, 25 miles from Trivandrum, the capital of Kerala state. The Kilimanoor princes were renowned for their cultural accomplishments, and Ravi Varma's artistic talents blossomed early: by the time he was 14, he had secured the patronage of the maharaja of Travancore.

Answered by rajneesh Rediff, 21 Sep '09 05:10 pm

(2)
 (0)
4.

Hope you know that Verma was criticized for his perennial preference for fair skin, and his stereotypical depiction of women as dependents, extreme and mythological and not the real woman......and hence his projections of women can not be complete...........at the most they could be his ideal high caste, fair skinned women.
Answered by Lumpen, 07 Sep '09 10:02 am

(3)
 (1)
5.

Nargis' role in Mother India comes to my mind.
Answered by HEMANT MEHTA, 06 Sep '09 10:08 pm

(2)
 (0)
6.

I found Manjit Bawa's painting to be more appealing than Raja Ravi Verma. The wholesomeness that Manjit Bawa and Anjolie Ela Menon present is something that personally appeals to me.
Answered by manish varma, 10 Sep '09 11:25 am

(1)
 (0)
7.

I have heard the poem in childhood....it gives a very great description of a brave indian woman...i hope u might have heard it.............khoob ladi mardani woh to jhansi wali rani thi
Answered by shashank sharma, 08 Sep '09 12:36 pm

(1)
 (0)
8.

Supreme aspects of women were illustrated by Raja Ravi Verma that are incomparable now. However, National Resource Centre for Women; also carries important resources ...
Answered by Praveen Kapur, 08 Sep '09 01:42 am

(1)
 (0)
9.

Its difficult to cite an example putting through a single name depicting the true picture n realities of Indian Woman...in fact , I do not know much about history wrt such important issues...but since the days , started understanding abt wrong or right, I was prestty impressed wid Late indira Gandhi for her brilliance and daringness (have not much interest in politics, hence her political achivements are ignored here) , Smt . Lata Mangeshkar for being one of the soft spoken nature wid infinite talent and finally my mother for whom I feel as if that if i have any reason to feel luckier, its her never ending love and caring which make me feel blessed wid everything even if , am an average man.....perhaps its going to be an incomplete answer, but I have written here wat I felt...thanks for seemingly a very good question, though unable to answer as I wud have liked it to be...
Answered by bijoy agarwala, 07 Sep '09 07:31 pm

(1)
 (0)
10.

We get several examples in old sculptures like Konark and other temples. Raja Ravi varma was a recent one and he depicted some loving pictures no doubt. ( Malbaar woman, Sita Haran, Draupadi vastra haran etc...), The sculputres had a different theme, but a complete one, a remarkable one., and that too in those old days.
Answered by subhash, 07 Sep '09 09:35 am

(1)
 (0)

Q.

The problem with your question 'G', is that you claim there is no "grey side", when indeed there is. Human beings, as you have acknowledge, use two si..more

Answered by Mickey