Your vote on this answer has already been received
1. the collection of rules imposed by authority; "civilization presupposes respect for the law"; "the great problem for jurisprudence to allow freedom while enforcing order"
2. legal document setting forth rules governing a particular kind of activity; "there is a law against kidnapping"
3. a rule or body of rules of conduct inherent in human nature and essential to or binding upon human society
4. a generalization that describes recurring facts or events in nature; "the laws of thermodynamics"
5. the branch of philosophy concerned with the law and the principles that lead courts to make the decisions they do [syn: jurisprudence]
6. the learned profession that is mastered by graduate study in a law school and that is responsible for the judicial system; "he studied law at Yale"
7. the force of policemen and officers; "the law came looking for him"