Q.

Your favorite song by Salil Chowdhury. Mine is "O sajna barkha bahar aayi..." from film Parakh. What is so special in that song?

Asked by Muktha Radhakrishnan, 15 Jul '09 12:43 pm

1.

The song is my all time favourite song too, and if you really analyze the reason for the success of Salil Chaudhury, you will find that he sticks mostly to the major scale as we know it in western classical music, has similar progressions, and his harmonization, however minimal, is brilliant.
He, as is stated in one of the answers, is one of the more under-rated composers of his era, but his genius wafts through the ages and his songs are more remembered than the Tweedledum and Tweedledee that existed in his era.
There is an unmistakable element of his adaptations of western idioms ever so subtly that many or most people would baulk at even the suggestion. But examine and analyze. The universality of his various usages of the pentatonic scales and the fantastic uses for the fifths throughout in Indian music is a hallmark of genius rarely found.
Answered by Satish Kamath, 19 Jul '09 05:13 pm

(1)
 (0)

2.

Muktha, very timely and truly suitable song for the present monsoon atmosphere, especially right now that prevailing here in my city. Though my favorite of Salil Chowdhury is different; but certainly yours is mostly enchanting and always in all time great classic. Of course, the master has given us treasure of melodious songs and even in these days of electronic chaotic bonanza musical scores, we still remember sweetness of musical score rendered by Salil Chowdhury, and I think thats what put him very different from the music that we have today. My favorite among many is :

``Aha rimzim ke ye pyaare pyaare geet liye, aayee raat suhani dekho preet liye,
mit mere suno jara hawa kahe kya, suno to jara ghungar bole chitimiti, chitimiti``

Answered by Indra Pawar, 15 Jul '09 03:00 pm

(2)
 (0)
3.

Beautiful song...one of my all time fav. songs. The song evokes a pic of a young girl watching the rain pouring through her window with the thoughts of love and romance..that becomes more special during the monsoon...the song makes me actually feel the monsoon breeze and pitter patter of the rain drops in the balcony....based on raga khamaaz ....salilda\'s composition with the beautiful rendition by latha.... will remain a top favourite for many for all times to come.
Salil Choudhury is perhaps most underated composer...his genius was perhaps never recognised by the powers that be of film industry of those times.....he was equally good in compositions in hindi, bengali and malayalam...songs from Anand , Madhumathi , Do bigha zameen, Maya (jare ja udhu jare panchi), mere apne etc appeal to both the older generation and also the present and the younger ones.
Answered by sumitha, 16 Jul '09 02:28 pm

(2)
 (0)
4.

Hi Muktha, When Indra reffered to your question of Salil chaudhari ,the first thing came into my mind of this great music Director was his outstanding music composition the movie CHEMEEN. \"Manasa maine varu ,madhuram nulli taru \", sung by Mannaey Dey is a song which cherish in every keralite\'s hearts. Chemeen written by Thakazhi Siva sankara PiIla ,directed by Ramu Kariat and music by Salil Chaudhary had won number of laurrels, also Golden Lotus Award of 1965,too.

There are many songs of Salil Chaudhary which are my favourites, kahin door jab din dhal jaaye saanj ki dulhan....... Itnana mujhse tu pyaar kar,.....jaane jaane man tere do nain......Aye mere pyare watan ,tujhpe he....also all songs of Anand ,Chotsi Baat, Madhumati ,Kabuliwala and the list continues. But my the favourite is the song sung by Lataji,

Aaaja re e e e e e Pardesi
Mai to kab se khadi hoon is paar
Ye ankhiyaan thak gayee Panth Nihaar................
Answered by Rachana, 15 Jul '09 05:18 pm

(2)
 (0)
5.

Salil da was a real master in composing lilting melodies. \"O sajna \"is my favorite too.I also like \" Aa ja re pardesi \' from Madhumati. The song turned more beautiful when Lataji insisted that it should start from \" Main to kab se khadi is paar\' instead of \' aa ja re pardesi\"
Another of my favorite is \' Jhir jhir jhir jhir badra barse ,o kaare kaare \" from the film Parivaar.Also who can forget \" ja re ud ja re panchi \' & \"Tasveer teri dil mein,jis din se utaari hai \"(Film Maya),Kahin door jab din dhal jaye (Anand).Jago mohan pyare (Jagte Raho), Ae mere pyare watan (Kabuliwala). Of course \' Aha rimjhim ke ye pyare pyare geet liye and itna na mujhse tou pyaar badh can also never be forgotten.
He was a great composer . I salute him.
Answered by HEMANT MEHTA, 15 Jul '09 07:13 pm

(1)
 (0)
6.

It is totally based on bengali tune of salil choudhary
Answered by krish, 15 Jul '09 05:32 pm

(1)
 (0)
7.

Salil Choudhury was a music composer par excellence. His songs with lilting heart touching music are liked by many a people. Among the copuntless songs of his which I love, my favourite is Dil tadap tadap...from Madhumati sung by Lata Mangeshkar and Mukesh. It is a beautiful song of love and relates to the longing and waiting for the loved one.

Dil tadap tadap ke keh raha hai aa bhi ja
Tu humse aankh na chura, tujhe kasam hai aa bhi ja

Tu nahin to yeh bahaar kya bahaar hai
Gul nahin khile ke tera intezaar hai
Answered by Mitali Choudhury, 15 Jul '09 02:29 pm

(1)
 (0)
8.

It\'s melody and the singer and the words even ! Over all it was simply suparb.
Answered by ashis, 15 Jul '09 12:52 pm

(1)
 (0)
9.

It is very difficult to list the best songs of Lata Mangeshkar. The above song is one of the most popular songs sung by the melody queen.
Answered by iqbal ahmed, 15 Jul '09 12:49 pm

(1)
 (0)
10.

He has done a lot of work in Malayalam. I like his all malayalam song
Answered by Kurian Chacko, 15 Jul '09 12:46 pm

(1)
 (0)

Q.

The listeners of music all over the world wish happy birthday to Mohammad Rafi on 24th December, 2010. The noble soul had left his admirers 30 years a..more

Answered by jameel ahmed