Q.

SOCIETY : Inter racial/religious/caste relationships have to face rough weathers even in the 21st century.Can they be successful? Despite of all the social differences and practical/cultural divides? Can you substantiate with some real life examples?

Tags: money, relationships, education
Asked by shintsie, 07 Feb '10 10:35 am

1.

Being born a hybrid both in terms of religion and race me cant accept the fact that inter racial/religious/caste relationships are taboo. Yup I can see all too well how fractured and caste rooted society in India, a very far cry from the environs where me come from. Moreso it is ironic that caste and creed identities are practised by non Hindus as well something that defeats their very identity and purpose of being non Hindus. And me dont see these caste fractures going away all too soon. It may take a couple or more centuries for these invisible boundaries and identities to be wiped out. Till then thats what people would quantify as the Indian way of LIFE. Yup there may have been success stories in the bridging the identity divide. However they are very meagre in the billionth count of Indians. Oh yup there is a silver lining in the cloud. Put any Indian outside identity and he/she forgets his caste/religion/languistic rootings and seeks to flaunt the "I am Indian" flag. Another very ...more
Answered by Saj Sierra, 07 Feb '10 03:49 pm

(1)
 (0)
2.

I have no problems with someone else marrying into another community etc.. but I am very attached personally to my Hindu religion and am a great fan of Maa Durga.. for that reason I could not even imagine being married into any other religion and I did marry a Hindu.
I also would prefer it if my son does the same because as a family we worship Maa Durga with great gusto and I wouldn't like to have a daughter-in-law who does believe in Maa Durga or have grand children who follow a faith different from mine. Because that will make me feel they don't belong to my family , as if they are strangers . I hope you got it Shintsie., what i mean. I don't mind if my son marries a non-Bengali or even a foreigner provided she is a Hindu and respects the tenets of Hinduism
Answered by joyoti sen, 07 Feb '10 12:19 pm

(3)
 (0)
3.

Our culture and beliefs are different with community and community, religion to religion and ststes to states. A person who is very much attached to his community rituals and customs will find it hard to cope with a person whose custom and rituals are entirely different. In such a situation the love marriage may face very rough weather and in most cases the life ship may sink. But when you are not attached to your customs and rituals you will find it easier to cope up with the other's rituals and custom even if she/he is attuned to his/her custom. Hence my opinion is, it needs atleast one person in such a relationship, who is not particularly attached with his religion,caste or customs for the success of a relationship.
Answered by Josna, 07 Feb '10 11:51 am

(1)
 (0)
4.

Yes ...inter racial/religious/caste relationships still are facing a tough time as far as the acceptance in the society in general...or the family in particular is concerned...as far as the marriage is concerned ...only the love marriage brings this problem into society and...as always...the love marriage is opposed by the common society and the elders...recently my cousin married a Bengali girl...but there was acceptance from our family and even theirs...however a section of either side relatives ...sort of boycotted it...so what...the marriage was performed respecting the rituals from both the sides...and because both the boy and the girl are doctors...they do had the upper hand and the final say in this regard...the proposal was lying the pipeline for a bit long ...but was materialised only after his younger sister was married few months back...so the fear of getting the marriage done in other racial/religious/caste is always there...people take chances...after all precautions...but ...more
Answered by sanjay sharma, 07 Feb '10 11:30 pm

(2)
 (0)
5.

Yes...I think we shud go bak to our past...to get the answer for this in the present and in future also. Human beings wen they mingle among their own race or community over n over again hav mostly given results of failure in bringing about healthy progenies(mental n physical) who can adapt to the ever changing environment. Recent example of this is the extinction of the Bo Tribe--one of the oldest tribal communities of the Andaman Islands who had survived by mingling amongst themselves for the last 65000 yrs, with the death of the 85yr old last surving female of the community. It marked the end of a society....well of course a gr8 loss to the anthropologists and linguists.
In fact We r all interracial especially we Indians(who hav originated mostly in the mainland statesof India) as India has been time and again been invaded by communities of different racial and religious origins. So tell me...aint we surviving??...We are...n we will in future..:))

Answered by sumita ganguly, 07 Feb '10 04:13 pm

(2)
 (0)
6.

We have not achieved a casteless society yet....not to think of a religionless or raceless society. Why do all of them exixt and why do we follow them.....there lies the answer in breaking it too.
Answered by sankaran subbiah, 07 Feb '10 11:38 am

(2)
 (0)
7.

It can be , but it would always remain a tough journey, and both would need the company of each other throughout the journey so that it never has to face a situation where they become victims in the hands of continuing vulnerability of the relationship due to being differences as mentioned in the questions.....if we look at "Pataudi- Sharmila Tagore or in case of Sharukh", we hardly get any bad news abt their relationship and are going very nicely.....Thanks.
Answered by bijoy agarwala, 08 Feb '10 06:00 pm

(1)
 (0)
8.

When it does not concern us, we all say, at least in public, " inter caste or inter religion relationship should be encouraged to enhance social harmony" . Alas, in practice we do exactly opposite. When it comes to our own child, particularly a girl, the whole family forgets what they used to say in public.. Those ideals are for others. Not for us, they say... The situation is somewhat changing in cities, but in the villages, hardcore feelings do dominate even in this century, and they will dominate further ..
Answered by subhash, 07 Feb '10 04:43 pm

(1)
 (0)
9.

We need another mahathma to cleanse the system
Answered by saranathan Narasimhan, 07 Feb '10 03:55 pm

(1)
 (0)
10.

I am agnostic and believe marriage is a stupid system...........hence i cant relate to the Q but really pity those who go thru this.
Answered by Lumpen, 07 Feb '10 02:25 pm

(1)
 (0)