Q.

Just a hypothetical situation: Imagine you are caught up on a terrace of a skyscraper, with lift/escalator or even stairs not accessible. Your mobile or any sort of outside communication is also not working. How will you escape? Either the most funny or most practical solution can fetch the BA vote...:))

Tags: education, entertainment, mobiles
Asked by Muktha Radhakrishnan, 09 Feb '10 01:45 pm

1.

After reading your question I could only think of Burj Khalifa in Dubai. I imagined that I am stranded at 828 meters height with no means to come down. At that height not even the people from the ground can see me. I cannot even call out to others. The people flying in airplane too cannot see me. You say I do not even have a mobile or any other means of communication. However, don't worry. I am very innovative. I will pull out the wads of Durhams from my pocket. Scribble a SOS, telling I am stranded on top of Burj Khalifa and throw them down. The wind would carry them far and near. Some would find them and alert the security. They will surely come to bring me down. :))))))))))))
Answered by Jack Johnson, 09 Feb '10 02:33 pm

(1)
 (0)

2.

Wow..................it had happened with me ! I recall ....in Dec,2000, in the icy cold Chicago, Bank1 building at 77th floor, got stranded....intially felt insecure n scary, but a little later realised that there is no way out...so took it easy n sat on the floor braving severe cold conditions.After an hour I realised quite a movement on the upper side of the top of the building where the helipad was located.I went up n saw a copter leaving the helipad...I waved in the fond hope that it would attract attention of crew .But nothing happened for next 30 mnts or so. I then decided to play a trick...removed the chain of the watch and threw the watch with full force with a msg towards the nearby building which houses a residential block too. Then saw that suddenly the lights are on an there was lift coming to the upper floors.Later on I was rescued by the Fire Brigade staff.I thought that my trick has worked but was told that they were in fact alerted by the helicopter crews.I was booked ...more
Answered by UMESH SHARMA, 09 Feb '10 02:53 pm

(1)
 (0)
3.

A very very hypothetical solution to this hypothetical situation.Guess u heard the song 'sip n slide away'.......well that's what I would do....for never mind what they say,just slip n slide away,'cause it's ok.I would just slide away singing this beautiful song......:)))))))
Answered by shuvra dey, 10 Feb '10 01:48 pm

(1)
 (0)
4.

Hi Muktha, very scary Question, yaar.I am scared of heights.I cannot even think of being left alone on the terrace of an average tall building So a sky scraper will be out of question.I have not yet visited ,the tallest skyscrapper in the world which is in my city.I never try any scary rides in a theme Park If such a difficult scary situation come into my life. I will be in a real dilemma, very helpless,too .I will do nothing ,will just sit in a corner and will cry at my destiny.Perhaps, God may feel pity for me and would send some invisible Superman for my rescue.He would ask me to close my eyes and like a Hero he would take me in his arms and would jump from the skyscrapper in a smooth graceful movement ,and on reaching the ground level would place me safely on the ground without a single scratch on my body. When I will open my eyes, I will be in my bed only as It would be definitely a sweet adventurous Dream and never a reality, because I would never dare to go alone on to the terr ...more
Answered by Rachana, 10 Feb '10 11:18 am

(1)
 (0)
5.

Really what can I do
Jump on the floor or Shout, or stay till some body come for your search.
1) I will start jumping like skipping on the floor so that some body will come to see me for help.
2) To avoid such situation in future Some alarm at suitable location must be provided on the terrace.or some intercome facilty will be better.or keep informing when you want to go on terreace.
Answered by vilas manohar deshpande, 10 Feb '10 09:23 am

(1)
 (0)
6.

How foolish question is this madam. I caught up on a terrace of a skyscraper with lift/escalator or even stairs not accessible bla bla bla. Anyway, I will use my imaginery helicopter to get out of that imaginery drastic situation, which you are purposely created.
Answered by Masquer, 10 Feb '10 12:13 am

(1)
 (0)
7.

Well I dont know abt the skyscrappers, but some years back in Delhi, me along with my wife, mother, my 1 year old son, and a couple of others were struck in the lift in Mayur Vihar . It was around 1 pm . It was 7th or 8th floor I dont remember now. My God it was for abt Half an hour or so and breath has become laboured....
In fact I tried and opened the top of the lift we were in to come out but then all the women in the lift were against me doing that heroic act !!!
At that period, there were no mobile phones!!! But Luckily one of the residents on that floor noticed the lift was struck and called the fire brigade to rescue us, But then it was a nightmare which I dont even wish my enemy to have !!!
But I think nowadays, the systems have improved a lot and many safety measures are brought in!!!
Answered by Sundar Rajan, 09 Feb '10 10:15 pm

(1)
 (0)
8.

But....I didnt forget to take ropes with me Mukthaji....-))....so I will get down easily....-))..thanks.
Answered by bijoy agarwala, 09 Feb '10 07:16 pm

(1)
 (0)
9.

Wow, it's rather a God-given opportunity to be at the top of the roof of a skyscraper...! I become a sole wanderer all around there looking up and down not to escape... But keep looking down first to watch the madding crowd running helter-skeleter to make their both ends meet, the chaotic traffic on road-cross making the humans difficult to breath fresh air, hapless poor seeking alms from the rich inside the halted-cars for signal-clearance, cute little girls selling flowers for lively-hood, fast-food vendors busy disposing rotten stuff to greedy maniacs, when I throw my looks up, I continue watching the dark clouds fleeting and threatening to rain, boisterous wind making me with a fear of fall anytime but muster courage to feel that none is there to disturb me nor intrude with my thoughts, which I can conserve to write my strange experience to media or a nice theme I have discovered to make a documentary kind of a thing with a difference to share with many people later...uff, what no ...more
Answered by Dil Se, 09 Feb '10 02:21 pm

(1)
 (0)
10.

A hypothetical answer; If I have some red coloured cloth or in its absence some other item like the pant or shirt, it will be waved in all directions for a considerable time to attract attention of any helpful soul. With their help I will escape.
Answered by Arakuzha Ramachandran, 09 Feb '10 02:08 pm

(1)
 (0)

Q.

You don't need to go 100 years ahead....have a look over your present again and you will hate it in the present time itself! ;-) :-P :-D 8-)..more

Answered by praveen