Q.

My main question was my contract with present company is getting expired in Dec 09 as a Dy.HR (Head) and my son's wedding is in Dec 09 itself. My staff and workers have requested my board of dirs not to relieve me as they still want me but I have some responsibility at my home also and I need a peaceful retired life. Do I still go for retirement or reconsider my management's decision to stay back???

Tags: money, relationships, education
Asked by cyrus irani, 25 Oct '09 01:26 pm

1.

Dear Cyrus jee,
Let me congratulate first for being successful in the international bid. Today I can realize how you speak so polite and soft to every one in the forum.
Reading your entire problem, it is easily understood how responsible and successful you have been throughout in your professional life I must thank you at outset for involving us at this juncture. I am sure you will decide better than us yet I would like to share my honest and practical views since it is desired.

Your esteemed organization had assessed your value long back and entrusted you with huge responsibilities with immense trust and you made them satisfied carrying them out successfully. This is why you are found to be an indispensable worker to your unit.
It is mere coincidence that you are getting retired in the month of December and your son is going to tie the knot this month itself.

Answered by joyesh chakraborty, 25 Oct '09 03:02 pm

(2)
 (0)
2.

My first suggestion would be, Think deeply, think from all angles, look at the pros and cons and discuss the issue with your family, and take into account the request from your organization and only then make a Decision. For starts , Give importance to priorities. Obviously, your sons marriage comes first priority wise. Wedding in the family, is a very special moment. Your family needs you more than anyone else. I guess, you can ask, your organization to give you a break from work, during your sons wedding celebration. You can tell them, you need time to think over the extension of the contract too. During the break period, Have a great time and celebrate every moment of the wedding celebration. Then, later you need to sit down and think about what you really want to do. Your organization has a lot of respect and trust in you, and thats why they are offering the extension. You have retirement plans in mind too. But again, I believe, one should never sit idle. Even, after ...more
Answered by Kavita Prsd, 25 Oct '09 03:26 pm

(4)
 (0)
3.

It is a coincidence that your son is getting married on the day you are retiring. This question has come up and gained importance due to this reason. Let me ask you a question. What would you do if your son had to get married say two years earlier? Would you put in your papers just to get him married? I do not think so. You would have asked for leave just to get him married and then resumed your work. You would have fulfilled your domestic responsibility notwithstanding. If your company did not want you then it was entirely another matter. You could have gone ahead and taken your retirement. The conditions are different now. Now they want you desperately, therefore, you are thinking of setting your priorities right. Agreed that our family is our first priority but you do have some responsibility towards the company you have worked for so long with dedication. You might not need them but they need you. If I were in your place, I would not let them down for one reason. Once your son is m ...more
Answered by Jack Johnson, 25 Oct '09 04:19 pm

(1)
 (0)
4.

Stay back in the company, taking a break of one month (relax that one month, )
i bet u will feel boring,
re-tire means
re-change
tire- work
i.e change ur work
never get retired, i pray to god give life till i work and let me work till i live
Answered by anushka desai, 25 Oct '09 01:32 pm

(5)
 (0)
5.

Here the issues is conflicting responsibilities, personal and professional. Correct?
1. From your previous question and this one, I understand that you have had quite a successful career.
2. From you language here in QNA, I draw a conclusion that you have effectively groomed your successor.
3. So either option will be fine for you.
4. Would ypour continuing in the office anyway hamper arrangement for your son's marriage? I guess not.
5. The reason is that your management will be less focused on your day-to-day work now and their demand basically will revolve around your strategic guidance, which will give you ample time to work for your son's marriage.
6. Since you already have a well-groomed successor, he/ she can take care of the day-to-day responsibilities.
7. So, in my personal opinion, your continuation in your current capacity would not hamper your plans to arrange for your son's marriage.
Answered by manish varma, 25 Oct '09 01:36 pm

(3)
 (0)
6.

Money is not everything in life. There is social and homely responsibilities too. If u are deterimined to retire, do it. Spend some happy time with family members. After that engae with some work independently. If u are satisfied with your service and feel secured even after retirement, i would like to wish you all the best in life. In this stage, i wont recommend you to continue in job and avoid son's marriage for that purpose. All the best sir :)
Answered by peekay first, 25 Oct '09 02:15 pm

(2)
 (0)
7.

Ms. Anushka Ji has given a nice answer.
Answered by hitler, 25 Oct '09 01:39 pm

(2)
 (0)
8.

Yaaa..i totally agree wid anushka
Answered by rahul, 25 Oct '09 01:34 pm

(2)
 (0)
9.

Go while the GOING is GOOD and STAY back. Lucky few get this OPPORTUNITY to continue in service even after the stipulated period. Retirement is BOREDOM in some way. GREAT GOING and CONGRATULATIONS on both occasions!!! (_) (_) CLINK!!!, CLINK!!!!! - three CHEERS.
Answered by John Mascarenhas, 25 Oct '09 01:31 pm

(2)
 (0)
10.

Take som eleave for son's wedding then continue your work
Answered by shashank sharma, 25 Oct '09 01:31 pm

(2)
 (0)

Q.

It is the BCCI and the selection committee that is to blame, for injurying shewag, not insisting on tendulkar to play, not arranging any practice matc..more