Q.

When we miss somebody so close to us, it pains a lot. But do you have the same intense feeling when you miss some nonliving entity, when you dispose something, which you were closely associated with?

Asked by Muktha Radhakrishnan, 03 May '09 07:06 pm

1.

I do not dispose of any object, memento or souvenir which has any meaning for me - I could not do it !
Answered by Janis, 03 May '09 07:09 pm

(1)
 (0)
2.

Everyone knows Alexander THE Great. We also kow from the history what he conquerred & compute his worth from it. Such a great man told his close associates-that when he passes away & placed in a coffin- bothe his hands should be out of the coffin. When his associate asked Alex why \" All the people in the world should know that EVEN ALEXANDER goes with empty hands! What we are harping here - is it more valueable? Don\'t get carried away with sentiments- it hampers the growth!
Answered by MajorVLoganathan, 07 May '09 10:30 am

(4)
 (0)
3.

Some call it \'junk collection\' but the point here is that for each individual there is a special meaning and attachment to everything that we store away in some place thinking one day we will sort them out and put it in a special place. Through out one\'s life, we keep collecting them as different occasions come into our life or what we have got on special occasions or because of some special events - momentos, clothes, cards, furniture etc. I always had an intense attachment to these things and kept them for as long as I could till constraints of space & practical possibility of keeping them became unviable - like the numbered Vest I worn playing for the Basket Ball team that won the inter-school championship, the first emblazoned blazer I got nearly 35 yrs back, the various collection of trophies of various competitions at school and other levels, the first official dress I won, later many a collection as life moved from one phase to another. All of which, I felt terribly bad when ...more
Answered by Omega, 03 May '09 08:43 pm

(3)
 (1)
4.

I think that Its not often the person that we miss, but the experiences and fulfilment that the relationship with the person has given us that we miss. The main factor of human relationship namely love is normally missing in our relationship with objects. Thats why they cant evoke so much feelings in us !
Answered by Shunmugham, 07 May '09 07:54 pm

(2)
 (0)
5.

Dear MR,
Be acknowledged that feeling of loss is very much evident with any body and every body where our memory has been associated with like leaving / selling ( for any reason)/ or to lose a home where our childhood has been spent. For any reason, if we leave a place, the pang of fondness makes us miserable. It could be a doll, a prized possession of even a penny, which one has and has to do away with. Intenser it becomes when we remeber how much effort one had put in to get those prized possession, then losing them becomes difficult.
Nonliving entity like a business disposal out of fund crunch or any other reason, losing a job to a lesser merit , on which many were dependent etc are heart aching. We happen to closely associated with the need which suffices our basic existence.
We miss all those and every thing which formed a part of our life, directly or indirectly.
Answered by prabhat kumar kumar, 07 May '09 02:44 pm

(2)
 (0)
6.

I have several cartons of books and momentos right from my school days...sepia tinted photo graphs of siblings and school mates..which are dear to me...some of the old furnitures like my mom\'s dressing table.....her powder puff...her blouses old fashioned ones of her youth...her sarees which still retain her touch...her note books of songs which she wrote composed and taught us to play on the piano and sing alongwith her....my fathers Piano and violin...his Blazer emblazoned with the Calcutta University Captain...these are all treasures for me...my feelings are intense for them...i treasure them...its a part of my entity and no situation would warrant my disposal of them. i know that the world has changed...and the apartment I have paid for is just a 3 room one...which would mean a room less...crammed with all my memorabalia. But I would forego it for ever to be near them ...with them !
Answered by prasoon, 06 May '09 03:25 pm

(2)
 (0)
7.

Either i dont dispose off those lovely things or i i dont miss ---------lol --how come Muk --these two happen together -----U too -----aap bhi naa --!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On a serious note ---personally and professionaly --life has seen so many misses --that probably i m insensitive to a loss now -----i just think what i have gained -----a greed --yes ---its the real or virtual , animate or inanimate , spiritual or material ---i m interested only in gains --and that keeps me positive --hai na ?
Answered by Wife Supreme, 06 May '09 11:05 am

(2)
 (0)
8.

Five days ago I posted a question,\" Is Nostalgia a sign of weakness for those who have modernistic outlook? \" I have just received only one answer. This particular thing always play in my mind. The nonliving things have a direct relation with the nostalgic feeling. Why we try to preserve the things? Because these things remind us of the past. When in the name of garbage clearance, old thing are sold or disposed in any manner, I just feel a piece of my past has also gone away with those. The old shirts, trousers, old copies, old letters, old books, pens, geometry box, mu childhood photographs all are so invaluable to me that any thought of house cleaning just brings an air of apprehension of losing those.
Answered by soumyen sarkar, 05 May '09 09:11 pm

(2)
 (0)
9.

Yes, I do feel the same pain........

I feel not that I am losing inanimate objects, rather I shall be lost without these, & this feeling provokes to protect those things back again, and my instinct forces me not to dispose them.......lots and lots of the things are there.....the first Titan wrist watch by papa.....The first T-shirt gifted by brother when he became independent, many of the chocolate wrappers along with the dates.......& diaries on which innocently wrote when bhaiya came from the hostel and when went back.....as if I was maintaining a track.

After my marriage, when I came back, I shifted to a new home with my husband. The day after we shifted, he left for an official tour. I had unpacked most of the things, except four cartons (Two of my books, one of my cards and letters, sent by friends, parents, siblings, when was in hostel) and one of my diaries. It was March, and I never expected it to rain. The cartons were lying outside. It was a thunder storm, heavy rain, v ...more
Answered by Alankrita Basu, 05 May '09 06:08 pm

(2)
 (0)
10.

Muktha, your question expects the answerers to mention nonliving entities; which they might have been missing virtually on regular basis. But, though I do have couple of such examples like missing my first tiny bicycle, first copy of Oxford dictionary presented by my school teacher, one 100 pages notebook consisting of idioms and phrases I had noted day after day while sitting in city library. Etc. Nevertheless, I would simply love to share here with another example of this genre which is related with a living entity at my paternal house.

This `house` sentiment (submitted here with Kalyani jee`s answer) is very pertinent to my memories too. I have some bitter (yes I know I have typed the word bitter) moments related with my paternal home as I never been living over there in easy or in normal/ordinary format of living. In fact, I was so overwhelmed by joy when mother informed me that we were going to Kolhapur (my present city in Maharashtra) for good from Dharwar in Karnakata as ther ...more
Answered by Indra Pawar, 05 May '09 12:26 am

(2)
 (0)