Q.

The poor and disadvantaged groups are the hardest hit victims of accountability failures in India. Included in
the disadvantaged groups are: the disabled people; those afflicted with HIV/AIDS; women and
children; asylum seekers, refugees and internally displaced people.These people depend almost entirely on the decisions of government for protection and basic social services; and for some the possibilities of employment. Ironically, it is due to the behaviour ---
accountability failures-- DO YOU AGREE?WHAT COULD BE DONE BY US TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE FOR THEM?

Asked by prabhat kumar kumar, 15 May '08 10:01 am

1.

Dear Prabhatji, When at my last job at one of the second biggest NGO called SOSVA in Mumbai, we were giving aids which was being given by US to HIV/AIDS Foundation groups. We wre holding sessions in groups to these affected people and give them knowledge about what is AIDS/HIV affected people as some didnt knew infact. This aid was coming from BILL GATES FOUNDATION and we were giving. lectures and giving knowledge to this illiterate people and how and why it was getting affected and how to avoid. For other people who were not affected we were holding sessions. Though I was at HR Level but I was overall looking after this welfare and its real heart rendering service we were giving. Now ofcourse I am not in touch as I have joined Corporate Sector. Yes but a great service we as NGO people were giving. Hardly from our govt any aids were coming. Al d best Take care Regards Cyrus
Answered by cyrus irani, 15 May '08 05:36 pm

(1)
 (0)
2.

Ofcourse, u r right! The weakest suffers d most. Bt problem lies in our social structure also. We r taught about religion bt never its teachings, dogmas bt not humanity. We like obliging others bt hardly bother 2 help. Blaming the government only cant solve the problem, individual efforts can make a big difference. Yesterday only my daughter brought a pamphlet from d school that was about donating money 4 a social service institution. I gave her the pamphlet n asked her to ask 4 money frm her grand-parents. U know how much they gave?...Rs 10! We r considered one of the 'affluent' families n see d contribution! Wn I was encouraging her 2 donate from her piggy-bank n she was willing 2 take out Rs 100 frm it, her grand ma was persuading her against it.
Nw do u think only govt is 2 b blamed. I think our minds need a brush up 2.
Answered by ekta mahajan, 15 May '08 12:41 pm

(1)
 (0)
3.

I agree with you. But we cannot do anything independantly to help them and
only we can support and cooperate with Government, social, religious &
humanitarian organzations and concerned legistaltifve reps to take necessary measures for their welfare.
Answered by Joseph Chacko, 15 May '08 11:16 am

(1)
 (0)
4.

Your concern is genuine. In India, major factors for this problem is over population, corruption, lack of knowledge and awarness in people. Differnet State Governments should think and take strict action for implementation of their schemes/policies. Individually we can also help them for their better life.
Answered by neeraj, 15 May '08 01:50 pm

(3)
 (0)
5.

We MUST caste our Votes & choose our govt. pay our taxes properly. dont make black money & help d govt. EVERY SINGLE INDIAN MATTERS. dream of becoming a politician as in movie Nayak & Sarfarosh. everyone is aware of everything but no one dares 2 begin. do u dare to begin? If yes , then the rest will follow after a few people sacrifice their life for this.
Answered by anshita saraf, 16 May '08 02:41 am

(1)
 (0)
6.

This a known truth and people like you and me feel the agony. But how to tie the bell in the cat's neck.
Answered by Uma Maheswar, 15 May '08 11:20 pm

(1)
 (0)
7.

U r right,its a social problem and everybody should come out 4 it.
Answered by prahlad desai, 15 May '08 07:40 pm

(1)
 (0)
8.

A very sensitive q. i could say it in hindi - marmasparshi!

i'd straightaway ask you my q: can you and i and others here decide to do something for such people? we can possibly start a not-for-profit institution that would cater to their awareness, education and also possibly initiate varius self-employment schemes. of course, in this job, much investment and planning would be needed as also political influences. but i guess we can make a difference if we can! on the other hand, we can at least bring such sensitive matters to the notice of the print and the electronic media so that as much popularity is accorded to such people/situations as could possibly be. this way, we can hope and strive to awaken, at the minimum, some souls in the bureaucracy to turn round their paths of profit-making ventures to pay some attention to the plight that needs more human heart.
Answered by Balaji Iyengar, 15 May '08 07:29 pm

(1)
 (0)
9.

This is Kalyug where Satan wins.Accountability cant b started in d middle,it has 2 b from d top.
Answered by Kookie sanyal, 15 May '08 07:04 pm

(1)
 (0)
10.

Agreed,awareness and good leadership required
Answered by Pardeep kapoor, 15 May '08 04:43 pm

(1)
 (0)

Q.

Answered by Ram Raj