Q.

It is okay if education board is making the age of the student strictly coming within the framework of guidelines, but do you think it is necessary to go strictly with month also? Like children born on or before a particular month may not be considered for this academic year. This compels parents to make changes in their kid's birth certificate, worrying about losing a year. What is your opinion about this?

Tags: month, money, education
Asked by Muktha Radhakrishnan, 04 Nov '09 06:05 pm

1.

1. It is perfectly OK to bring the age of the person undertaking the schools under the strict guidelines. I thought that it was already there as every school was very clear on requirement of birth certificate and they have been seeking it for more than a decade now.
2. Why are the parents worried about losing one year? If their child does not qualify, he/she does not qualify. Why should one wish to put a one and half year old child in the school and expect him/ her to learn ABCD. It's not losing a year at all.
3. My daughter had to lose one year in changing the different educational systems, but it was OK. A rule is a rule. My daughter was qualifying for every class being born at the fag end of the year. However, during another education system, where they counted from October to September instead of Jan to Dec, she lost one year. But well I did not complain, nor did I try to make any certificate. It simply was there as per the rule.
Answered by manish varma, 05 Nov '09 10:40 am

(1)
 (0)
2.

I feel, some where they have to draw a line to have a cut off date. It is not only true of schools but for any admission or even many a Govt institute or even jobs. If one keeps on relaxing it, there would be no end to it. Look at what has happened to the caste categorisation. Initially, only the ones who really came in the category were there, but look at the state of affairs. Every one is fighting a battle based on political power to get on to the bandwagon.

These rules once framed, they should stick to it only. After all, we can't time the birth to fit the admission age requirements. In that case, all the children would be born only in April or May with a dry period extending to 10 months -:))
Answered by Omega, 05 Nov '09 10:40 pm

(1)
 (0)
3.

At the time of my birth and schooling, birth certificate was not enforced as mandatory to get school admission. (Don't deduce I am a very old person from Jambavan's era :-)). In fact I don't have a birth certificate, but never doubted whether I have actually born or not.

I think for my generation, Secondary School Leaving Certificate is the effective proof for DOB. Not heard about any statistical data, but seen many retirements from service nowadays are falling in the month of May in our state where academic year starts in June every year. This is because many parents changed their kids' DOB to the month of May to fulfill the age limit condition of 5 years to join school.

To my knowledge, at present formal modern schooling starts from the age of 3.5 (for LKG, not sure whether pre-KG has been formally inducted into the count). When my child started her LKG, I was astonished at the mere mass and contents of kids' Syllabus at that age comparing those with my period.

Answered by Krishnakumar Narayanan, 05 Nov '09 07:35 pm

(1)
 (0)
4.

If they go on relaxing the age then one day it will be very difficult to frame age bars. So its best to follow the age guidelines. And false age certificates do more harm because the education board frames guidelines after doing researches as to at what age a child is suitable for a particular class.
Answered by Mitali Choudhury, 05 Nov '09 02:14 pm

(1)
 (0)
5.

They follow the the age of the student strictly so that the student is enough matured to attend particular class.This parent should understand. rather than tampering the birth certificate
Answered by ANURADHA PATHAKJ, 05 Nov '09 09:41 am

(1)
 (0)
6.

Education department has been influenced by Mohammad Bin Tughlaq for quite a long time. can you beat it that for filling a NET Examination Form you have to get it attested by a Grade 1 Gazzetted Officer... when it is clearly mentioned that if any of the information is found false the candidature will be cancelled. Thousands appear for this examination twice a year and so much of money is spent unnecessarily as Govt. Officials above the rank of Tehsildar are Grade 1 GOs. They send you to advocates to first attest the photos (total 6 photos and minimum Rs.10/- per photo is charged by them) ...

In spite of all these hiccups it is the keenness of parents for their children that these children go for & manage to get higher education. First Education Ministers need to be educated.
Answered by rajneesh Rediff, 05 Nov '09 09:22 am

(1)
 (0)
7.

Frank opinions cannot be given here. But the worry is genuine. About months also, I want to say 5 years 1 month and 5 years 11 months make a lot of difference in the maturity level of children at this level. In admission tests, this age difference matters and also in the initial few years. The difference or gap wipes out from the middle school level.
Answered by soumyen sarkar, 04 Nov '09 11:13 pm

(1)
 (0)
8.

Rules n regulations are framed for the convenience n comfort for the people in general...and accrodingly they need to be followed strictly by each of us...but the authorities must take care of the issues which become headach for the followers...wrt. years its okay....but wrt month I think there sud be uniform law like , well a kid having 2y8M of age shall be categorised under the age group of three....basically this type of seemingly minor loop hole is leading us to live in a society where corruption tends to rule over us...thanks.
Answered by bijoy agarwala, 04 Nov '09 07:36 pm

(1)
 (0)
9.

I think its wrong to be strict according to the month also..................whats the fault of the person if his birthdate is falling one or two day before the restricted date,...................??
Answered by Kalyani Sawant, 04 Nov '09 06:13 pm

(1)
 (0)