Q.

Unacceptable Attitude !!! Resently I found A HOF member copying answers of my friend and submitting it to my questions.The copied answers were of my of a friend of mine who had wriiten with her knowledge and brilliance and not copied from any Net sources.The HOF member has more than 2 lac points in his account and above 370 BAs in his credit.Why he has to copy someone's answer from word to word .What could be his motivation to do such an unethical act.I have gnored it but I find difficult to accept this attitude of an educated person .Please help me with your views regarding this issue....

Tags: friend, money, relationships
Asked by Rachana, 26 Nov '09 02:48 pm

1.

It is not acceptable under any circumstances be it a HOF member or not.

Being an HOF member has no halo about it at all. It is just that they were here earlier than you and thus posted more answers or it is they wrote one word or one line answers at a furious pace to land up there and be seen. No great achievement at all for any one to feel on top of the world. Even with the same style of answering, I had reached 2,25,000 pts flat by 15 Nov 2007, within a span of four and half months only because I was taking a break and had nothing better to do as I kept waiting for a breakthrough to come through and since then have moved at snails' pace to be where I am. Sorry, I am dwelling on this to emphasise that, there is nothing great about being in HOF. Many have come later and who are not in the HOF but much better than any one of us in the HOF for their standard of answering, depth of knowledge and sincerity in answering.

Answered by Omega, 26 Nov '09 09:06 pm

(2)
 (0)
2.

Rachana, recently I found a person copying other answers, fully or part of it. I never entertain such copy-paste, I left it without a UV and just commented "Thanks for the copy-paste". Copying from other sources is tolerable, as we are not 100% equipped with knowledge, at least for fine tuning we need to rely on NET. But copying others' answers is something not appreciable. If he/she doesn't have an answer of his/her own why he/she is attempting the question, just for earning points? The surprising thing is that the same person got BA vote just by copying part of the answer by a fellow answerer. The situation mentioned in your question happened with me too long back, and the guy who copied my answer got BA vote. At first I thought of making it an issue, then remained silent as I'm not after points or BAs. But as you said these attitudes need not be encouraged. I cannot understand what they are getting by somehow earning some points. We don't have any material benefits from these points ...more
Answered by Muktha Radhakrishnan, 26 Nov '09 03:51 pm

(3)
 (0)
3.

This is certainly a very bad practice.Some members will just do anything to earn points .Be it posting absolutely irrrelevant answers or copying and posting an answer.However such members are sooner or later exposed and though we cannot take any action against them , but when exposed to a number of members they do lose their good reputation and credibility, which in my view is much more important than points or being in HOF.And even being in HOF , does it really have any credibility or use?
Answered by HEMANT MEHTA, 26 Nov '09 03:40 pm

(3)
 (0)
4.

That just means that the particular individual is too obsessed w/ making a big deal out of a casual & friendly forum where ppl just ask questions & get answers.

Sometimes, people are SO obsessed w/ "marks" its ridiculous. Sort-a makes me glad I scored low marks in school lol. Why can't people just look @ this site like a chai shop & learn to have fun & get some info at least.

So being in "HoF" or being an "Expert" isin't gonna make Manmohan SIngh rush to my house to hear my latest inputs on the Indian economy & society, so why do ppl go so gung-ho crazy over "points" and "titles" ? ? ?
Answered by A Moin, 26 Nov '09 03:20 pm

(3)
 (0)
5.

Did you check if it was done by the REAL ID of that HOF member? or a similarly named fake id?

So many unethical activities are going on here due to laxity of rediff management. When unruly rogues know that the hand of law is weak they come and bring with them their own caste & creed as well but when they realise that the hand of law is efficient and swift they just run away.
Answered by rajneesh Rediff, 26 Nov '09 03:17 pm

(3)
 (0)
6.

It, indeed is an UNETHICAL ACT for a person who has a six figure points to his credit to behave in such a manner. And there are many others indulging in such malpractices.
Answered by John Mascarenhas, 26 Nov '09 02:55 pm

(2)
 (1)
7.

Any person doing this is doing something very unethical. I condemn such a shameless act. There was no need to answer if he could not come up with any answer. Maybe he just wants to accumulate points by any means and he has no guilty pangs of his conscience. Or does he have a conscience at all?
Answered by Mitali Choudhury, 26 Nov '09 04:25 pm

(2)
 (0)
8.

Interesting. A few days back I noticed that a HOF member ( a female identity) was giving answers to many of my questions which were posed more than one year back - the HOF member was just cut copy pasting an already given answer by another member.
May be there is a "serious" race among some ppl in the HOF- may be they think QNA point is oxygen.
But why bother; let all games be played in this virtual arena, as long as they don't personally offend others.
So let go.
Answered by Somebodysomewhere, 26 Nov '09 03:23 pm

(2)
 (0)
9.

If someone steals then there is every possibility of him being caught.But he can be convicted if being caught by the POLICE.But if he will be caught by any common man and handed over to the POLICE then.............he may or may not be convicted & punished.............................Catch him with evidence and hand him to the POLICE of QNA
Answered by Pradipta pati, 26 Nov '09 03:03 pm

(2)
 (0)
10.

Roughly, two years ago, I was strangely involved with a similar case of copy past event as somebody (a member with fake female ID) submitted the answer to one of questions from a very senior and respectable member namely Jane Joseph (now not active with present forum scenario). Most part of the answer (which was surely a fabulous one, like Muktha`s on `that` question) was nothing but the copy paste of an equally talented member; and I detected the similarities. I was confused, of course, at first stage and was wondering whether that was an apt example of sheer coincidence. But after a second reading it dawned to me that it was a total nuisance and the fellow had copied down from the original answer. I detected so because there was a tiny spelling mistake in original answer, and this copying Jackie Chan didn`t care to paste as it appeared on page, including the spell mistake. What does this show, Rachana? It is an indication that this `Business` has its roots way back to the first day o ...more
Answered by Indra Pawar, 27 Nov '09 04:04 pm

(1)
 (0)

Q.

Politicians indulge in all such dirty tricks to fool the gullible voters..more