Q.

Do you feel good when being flattered eventhough you know it is a flattery? my answer to my qn.is no body is above flattery ?

Tags: health, education, science
Asked by sitapati rao, 29 Sep '09 07:07 pm

1.

Rao saheb, at my age, it is so easy to discern flattery from genuine appreciation which is different. According to me, verbal flattery has always an ulterior motive. See the dictionary meaning of flattery - "To compliment excessively and often insincerely, especially in order to win favor."
When I really feel flattered is when people accept my advise and act accordingly, and do things the way I like to or do myself and acknowledge the fact that I am their inspiration AFTER doing so. After all, it is said that "Imitation is the best form of flattery" (Here flattery acquires a totally new dimension and meaning).
In that sense, I am not above flattery, but mere verbal flattery? I receive it with utmost contempt and even make it known to the flatterer....
Answered by Satish Kamath, 02 Oct '09 08:19 pm

(0)
 (0)

2.

Even Julius Caeser succumbed to flattery. Flattery gives one a pleasant feeling but as long as one does not get swayed by it, more the merrier .
Answered by gem mina, 02 Oct '09 08:39 pm

(0)
 (0)
3.

I like to be flattered, but only when I deserve it and not otherwise
Answered by rajnikant raiyarela, 29 Sep '09 07:25 pm

(1)
 (0)
4.

Yes. sometimes................. when the person doing this to me, does it to make me feel good (like my friends do it to me just to cover any of my shortcomings)and doesn't want something BIG done or given by me............But when I sniff a vested interest.....it works opposite.........makes me angry
Answered by sonu jee, 29 Sep '09 07:24 pm

(1)
 (0)
5.

I will feel upset but defnitely give a good counter.
Answered by hitler, 29 Sep '09 07:09 pm

(1)
 (0)
6.

Yes. Flattery is not going to hurt and it will pass on pleasantness. But we have to switch on 'caution' in our mind
to avoid being victime to flattery.
Answered by venkat ramani ramachandran, 04 Oct '09 10:12 am

(0)
 (0)
7.

Yes surely.. i may feel happy - that happiness shows our gratitude to that person-a reward for his/her sincere appreciation!!!but i maybe thinking of 'how to improve myself more?'
Answered by magi, 29 Sep '09 07:39 pm

(0)
 (0)
8.

As long as white elephants and black sheep are there everywhere, flattery kind of a thing mushrooms...but...I am very much against it...neither do I flatter anyone nor would like to receive one...And...there were many occasions, when I out rightly discourages such acts of flattery by openly tell the flatterer to find someone for his job...!
Answered by Dil Se, 29 Sep '09 07:25 pm

(0)
 (0)